It’s not summer without barbecue. Whether it’s Memphis, North Carolina or Texas Style, each barbecue type has its loyal fans (and for good reason!). Tangy, smokey and sweet, barbecue sauce is the perfect accompaniment to basically any type of meat, veggie or even vegan protein source, like tofu, beans or lentils. And despite the convenience of the bottled stuff, it can be filled with added sugar and preservatives. Luckily, you can make your very own sauce at home with ingredients you likely already have in your pantry. Whip up one of these 10 healthy homemade BBQ sauces before summer’s over to really impress your dinner guests.
1. Apricot Barbecue Sauce: Not to be dramatic, but this is maybe one of the best homemade barbecue sauces ever. Grab some chicken breasts or thighs at the grocery store, fire up the grill and whip up this sauce for a date night-worthy dinner. (via The Healthy Maven)
2. Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce: You probably have all the ingredients in your pantry for this sugar-free BBQ sauce. It contains just six ingredients and comes together in just a few minutes. (via Healthful Pursuit)
3. Sweet and Smokey Barbecue Sauce: Barbecue sauce isn’t just for meats, y’all! It’s an absolute stunner on pizza too. This recipe filled with Italian-style tomatoes would be perfect with your favorite summer vegetables and fresh cheese from the farmers’ market. (via Lexi’s Clean Kitchen)
4. Blackberry BBQ Sauce: Are you hosting a barbecue and know some of your guests follow a Paleo lifestyle? Blackberries, apple cider vinegar and homemade ketchup all combine in this irresistible, Paleo-friendly sauce. (via The KetoDiet Blog)
5. Pomegranate-Peach Barbecue Sauce: Don’t let peach season end before you make this Memphis-style BBQ sauce. The important characteristics are all there: tomato-based, tangy and sweet. This recipe is healthier because the sweet comes from pomegranate molasses and fresh peaches rather than white sugar. (via The Kitchn)
6. Pumpkin BBQ Sauce: Don’t wait until fall to get your pumpkin fix. If you’re looking for a sweeter barbecue sauce, this is the recipe for you. Plus, secret veggie servings are always great, right? (via Lexi’s Clean Kitchen)
7. Skinny Ms. Barbecue Sauce: This vinegar-based recipe uses clean ingredients to make a low-calorie sauce. Sweetened only with honey, flavored with dijon mustard, sauteed onions and garlic and spiced with cayenne pepper and chili powder, this sauce will make your cookout guilt-free and delish. (via Skinny Ms.)
8. Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe: If a Kansas City native makes a barbecue sauce, it’s bound to be delicious. The traditional ketchup, vinegar and liquid smoke can all be found in this recipe that is sweetened with vegan-friendly agave nectar. (via Gimmie Some Oven)
9. Homemade BBQ Sauce: Don’t feel like you’re missing out on a popular summer dinner of barbecue if you follow a vegan diet. Add this sauce to cooked lentils to make a homemade vegan sloppy joe! (via Oh She Glows)
What is your favorite summer BBQ recipe? Let us know below in the comments!