Homemade Skin Defense for Summer Days
We’re sure you know that we love to cozy up to a little DIY beauty project. From face scrubs to body butters (and a whole lot of lemons), we’ve got homemade beauty recipes in spades. And with summer finally hitting its stride, we think a new roundup is in order: DIY sunscreens in all shapes and sizes. Straightforward, fun and practically certified paraben-free, these recipes are easy on your summer skin and your wallet. So whether you’re hoping to skip the chemicals or simply love a good kitchen-based beauty endeavor, here are 10 recipes for sun defense just waiting to be whipped up.
1. DIY All-Natural Face Moisturizer With Sunscreen: This recipe for all-natural moisturizer combines a few basic ingredients (including rosehip seed oil and lavender, which sounds kind of dreamy) with a touch of lightweight sunscreen for a simple two-in-one skincare product. (via The Wellness Doer)
2. Ultra Moisturizing Natural Sunscreen: Two versions of this DIY are ready for you to make, one with moisture-rich ingredients like olive oil and shea butter, and one with a lotion substitution. (via I Am Healthy Wealthy + Wise)
3. Smooth Finish DIY Organic Foundation with Sunscreen: The name says it all. Beauty and skincare in one homemade package. (via Scratch Mommy)
4. Meadowfoam Sunscreen DIY: Each of the ingredients in this homemade sunscreen have natural UV protection, making it a worthwhile project with or without the addition of zinc oxide. (via Sweet Roots)
5. All Natural SPF Sun Oil: Accompanied by an explanation of several different essential oils and ingredients + their approximate SPFs, this sun oil has an SPF of at least 30 and a sweet, refreshing scent. (via Free People BLDG 25 Blog)
7. Homemade Lotion Bar Recipe: It’s hard not to love a good moisturizing cream, but this bar lasts longer than traditional lotion and does double duty as a great gift. Check the customization notes for tips on how to turn them into sunscreen bars. (via Everyday Paleo)
9. Homemade Almond Coconut Sunscreen: Instead of beeswax, this homemade sunscreen calls for a natural candle, which also cuts out the extra step of adding essential oils for scent. (via The Chalkboard)
10. Sunburn Relief Spray with Essential Oils: We would never send you into the sun without a little just-in-case skin-saving backup. Because, sometimes, sunburn happens. And this spray can help. (via DoTerra Blog)
Which skin-saving DIY has got you sifting through your kitchen supplies? Let us know in the comments below!
Still haven't taken up that new creative skills you swore you'd learn this year? Or ready to take your design skills to the next level? Let's say so long to the weirdest year ever by checking those big learn-something-new goals off our perpetual to-do lists.
We've teamed up with Clorox to give you the gift of unlimited creativity now through the end of the year. Once you sign up, you can take as many of our 120+ classes as you want for FREE for one whole month!
Here's how it works:
- Head to brit.co/learn and sign up for the "All Access Pass."
- Use the code "CLOROXCARES" at checkout to redeem your free month of classes.
- You will be automagically signed up for Clorox's email list once you redeem your free all access pass. (It's the #1 Choice for Disinfection!)
- Your pass lasts one month from when you checkout. This means you have unlimited access to all the classes during that month.
This offer is valid now through December 27, 2020.
Browse our catalog to find the right class for you, tell a friend and take the class together over Zoom, or organize a 'cocktails + crafts' night with a friend in your bubble so you can learn something new together.
What are you waiting for? Time to start learning all the things!
Thanks to Clorox for making this happen! When it counts, trust Clorox.