10 Foolproof Tips for Posing Like a Supermodel in Photos
Picture this: Your friend whips out a smartphone and yells, “Smile!” You freeze like a deer caught in headlights, plaster a fake smile on your face and strike a pose, pulling out all your old faves from your bag of tricks. You said “prunes” instead of “cheese” (thank you, Olsen twins). You pressed your tongue to the roof of your mouth and arched your back, all in an effort to serve up some couture realness. Yet you still failed to channel that perfect mix of natural and sexy. Don’t beat yourself up — looking flawless in photos is hard. Luckily, we can consult the pros (AKA our fave pose-happy celebs). Check out these tips on how to nail your next selfie just in time for end-of-summer shenanigans.
1. Bend your knee. Let’s start with the easy ones. When someone pulls out an iPhone, face the camera and slightly bend one leg, putting your weight on the straight leg like Alessandra Ambrosio does here. This pose shows off your curves if you’ve got ’em — and creates them if you don’t.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Jourdan Dunn (@jourdandunn) on
2. Become the teapot. Follow Jourdan Dunn’s lead and put your hand on your hip, relax your shoulders and shift your weight to one side. This pose defines your waist and creates a long, statuesque line that’s anything but short and stout. Position your hand with your fingers toward the camera to show off your accessories and nail art.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Natasha Poly (@natashapoly) on
3. Never shoot from below. Never, ever, ever let someone take your picture with the camera below your eye line. Trust us (and Natasha Poly) — there are very few instances where holding the camera or phone below your eyes will result in anything but weird shadows or a disappearing chin. Keep the lens above your head to catch all of your best angles and elongate your swan-like neck.
4. Turn your head. Very few of us were born with a perfectly symmetrical face. Maybe you’ve got one eye that’s a smidge bigger than the other, or a lopsided smile — there’s an easy fix for that. Just turn your head a bit when you snap a pic, making sure to angle your chin down and focus your eyes ahead. Soon you’ll be a pro like Doutzen Kroes, who manages to hit the perfect tilt even while lying in bed.
5. Cross your ankles. There’s nothing worse than trying to strike a casual pose in a photo but instead coming off unnatural and awkward. Avoid this misstep by crossing your legs at the ankles and placing your weight on your back leg, like top model Liu Wen.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Gigi Hadid (@gigihadid) on
6. Create curves. Killer curves don’t always come easy. Luckily, there’s a pose that can help create that hourglass figure without plastic surgery or a thousand squats a day. Turn your good side toward the camera, putting one foot in front of the other while bending your front knee. Then, arch your back and tilt your head forward a bit. Place the hand closest to the camera on your hip (always put the hand closest to the camera on your hip), et voila — insta-curvaceousness.
7. Kick it back. How do you fake playful and confident without looking, well, crazy? Easy peasy! Just do a little kick like Hilary Rhoda. Turn your side to the camera, kick your leg back and lean back a smidge. Your booty will get a little lift while you create the illusion of ease.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Bar Refaeli (@barrefaeli) on
8. Stick your hip out. Hello, Sassafras! If the powers that be forgot to give you the hips you crave and the waist you desire, then just fake ’em by posing in an exaggerated S-shape. Make sure to keep your arms slightly away from your body to allow light to shine through. If you’re feeling extra confident, pull a Bar Rafaeli and put both of your hands on your hips for a pose that is equal parts playful and flattering.
9. Look back at the camera. Once you’ve mastered the previous poses, you’re ready to move to the master of all signature stances: the peek over the shoulders. Break out this less-than-subtle pose when you’re ready to be noticed. Take a page out of Selita’s playbook and “casually” look over your shoulder and back at the camera. Keep your hands in front of you, slightly hunch your shoulders and don’t forget to smize. Reserve this look for group photos or next-level outfits with interesting back details.
10. Stand up straight. We know, we know. This is all a lot to take in. But if you’re going to remember one thing, let it be this classic piece of advice: Stand up straight. When in doubt, put your best foot forward, fix your posture, look straight at the camera and flash those pearly whites. You got this, girl.
Looking for more ways to nail your next selfie or group photo? Follow us on Pinterest!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.