5 New Ways to Style a Pixie Cut like Scarlett Johannson
Most starlets these days grab our attention with their hair by doing something drastic, like a here-today-gone-tomorrow chop or a fairy tale color revamp. Not Scarlett Johansson. The Avengers: Age of Ultron actress has been working her most recent pixie cut — an edgy razed undercut — on red carpets since she shaved her locks last year, bringing a completely new look with her to each event. Needless to say, she’s busting the belief that short-haired girls have few-to-no styling options and acting as major pixie cut inspo (short-to-shorter cutsare in this year). With a little help from our resident beauty babe Misty Spinney, we’ve broken down ScarJo’s five most recent hairstyles (they’re easier to DIY than you might think!), plus pegged a place for you to wear them all through spring.
To Your Bestie’s Opening Night
1. The Bombshell Curl: Scarlett amped up the volume at the European premiere of Avengers: Age of Ultron in London. To get the same height, use a thick-barrelled curling iron to curl your hair up and back and a volume spray like Kenra Professional Volume Spray 25 ($17) for next-level height and hold. (Photo via Anthony Harvey/Getty)
To Your Weekly GNO
2. The Lazy Girl Look: This year, the #wokeuplikethis look isn’t just reserved for Sunday mornings. To get Scarlett’s textured + tousled ‘do from the Hollywood premiere of Age of Ultron, backcomb your hair to build a lifted foundation, then use a flatiron to set your hair up and back before you gently fuss it around with your fingers with a wax like TIGI Bed Head Hair Stick ($15). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
To Your Anti-Dinner + a Movie Date
3. The Not-So-Romantic Side Sweep: Adding a dramatic side part to soft hair is a fool-proof way to make your look more romantic like that, but we’re swooning hard over ScarJo’s slick, edgy twist on the style. For a similar look as her MTV Movie Awards hair, apply a root-lifting spray before you blow dry your hair away from your scalp and over and away from the part to shape and create volume. Finish by piecing it out with your fingers and adding some shine using a styling cream like Bumble and bumble Brilliantine ($24). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
To Your College Roomie’s Wedding
4. The Oil Slick: Scarlett’s Academy Awards super slicked-back pompadour matched the elegance of the night. To get the fancy-fierce look, liberally apply a straightening cream like TIGI Bed Head Straighten Out Straightening Cream ($19) all over your locks before you blow dry them up and back to get that rounded shape. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
To Start the Workweek Off Right
5. The Cute Combover: At the 2015 Film Independent Spirit Awards, Scarlett kept her hair pretty and polished with a softer, more matte version of a dramatic side part. Once you’ve exaggerated your part, use a blow drier to lift your roots up. Then direct your hair straight out before intentionally pulling it over to the side. Mend just the ends with a hair wax to get the perfect soft and sleek balance. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
What ways do you style your short ‘do? Tell us all about your short hair DIYs in the comments below.