5 New Ways to Style a Pixie Cut like Scarlett Johannson
Most starlets these days grab our attention with their hair by doing something drastic, like a here-today-gone-tomorrow chop or a fairy tale color revamp. Not Scarlett Johansson. The Avengers: Age of Ultron actress has been working her most recent pixie cut — an edgy razed undercut — on red carpets since she shaved her locks last year, bringing a completely new look with her to each event. Needless to say, she’s busting the belief that short-haired girls have few-to-no styling options and acting as major pixie cut inspo (short-to-shorter cutsare in this year). With a little help from our resident beauty babe Misty Spinney, we’ve broken down ScarJo’s five most recent hairstyles (they’re easier to DIY than you might think!), plus pegged a place for you to wear them all through spring.
1. The Bombshell Curl: Scarlett amped up the volume at the European premiere of Avengers: Age of Ultron in London. To get the same height, use a thick-barrelled curling iron to curl your hair up and back and a volume spray like Kenra Professional Volume Spray 25 ($17) for next-level height and hold. (Photo via Anthony Harvey/Getty)
To Your Weekly GNO
2. The Lazy Girl Look: This year, the #wokeuplikethis look isn’t just reserved for Sunday mornings. To get Scarlett’s textured + tousled ‘do from the Hollywood premiere of Age of Ultron, backcomb your hair to build a lifted foundation, then use a flatiron to set your hair up and back before you gently fuss it around with your fingers with a wax like TIGI Bed Head Hair Stick ($15). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
To Your Anti-Dinner + a Movie Date
3. The Not-So-Romantic Side Sweep: Adding a dramatic side part to soft hair is a fool-proof way to make your look more romantic like that, but we’re swooning hard over ScarJo’s slick, edgy twist on the style. For a similar look as her MTV Movie Awards hair, apply a root-lifting spray before you blow dry your hair away from your scalp and over and away from the part to shape and create volume. Finish by piecing it out with your fingers and adding some shine using a styling cream like Bumble and bumble Brilliantine ($24). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
To Your College Roomie’s Wedding
4. The Oil Slick: Scarlett’s Academy Awards super slicked-back pompadour matched the elegance of the night. To get the fancy-fierce look, liberally apply a straightening cream like TIGI Bed Head Straighten Out Straightening Cream ($19) all over your locks before you blow dry them up and back to get that rounded shape. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
To Start the Workweek Off Right
5. The Cute Combover: At the 2015 Film Independent Spirit Awards, Scarlett kept her hair pretty and polished with a softer, more matte version of a dramatic side part. Once you’ve exaggerated your part, use a blow drier to lift your roots up. Then direct your hair straight out before intentionally pulling it over to the side. Mend just the ends with a hair wax to get the perfect soft and sleek balance. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
What ways do you style your short ‘do? Tell us all about your short hair DIYs in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.