Instagram’s New Update + 4 More Apps to Try This Weekend
We are officially entering the craziest month of the year. From work deadlines to holiday parties, the action won’t stop until AT LEAST January. So while you’re decompressing from a full Thanksgiving meal (or chomping leftovers!), we’ve got five apps to get you prepared for the month ahead. Whether you need to send silly selfies to friends, buy gifts or take notes, these five apps will help you keep sane until 2017. See you on the other side.
1. Instagram: Instagram’s newest updates prove that it is OUT to get Snapchat. The social network just introduced “live stories” that let you send out live video to your followers and “disappearing messages” which let you send pics to your pals (or groups) that will go away.
2. Frenzy: You could head out for sales all this weekend, or you could just download this app that pairs with some insanely cool brands to offer you deep discounts via flash sale. This is probably how we’ll be doing the majority of our holiday shopping.
3. Long Game: If you’re terrible at saving money, try turning it into a game. This new app lets you play your savings like a lottery (except you can never lose), and you can earn real-world prizes the more money you stow away.
4. Snappy: For all your last-minute gifts this holiday season, there’s Snappy. This app markets itself like a gift card, only better. The app will allow your recipient to choose the gift they like best from a personalized list. And it only takes 17 seconds. No more excuses.
5. LetterSnap: For all those moments when you see some text that you want to save, snap a pic with LetterSnap. The app will automatically convert the picture into readable text that you can copy and paste anywhere you want. It’s kind of the ultimate utility app, and we can’t believe we’ve lived this long without it on our phones.
Which was your favorite app this week? Let us know @BritandCo!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.