How to Age Gracefully According to This 93-Year-Old Style Icon
Have you noticed more mature women are getting plenty of spotlight lately? Iris Apfel is no exception. This 93-year-old style icon leads the pack of sartorial 65+-year-old women who show us there’s a lot to look forward to in life, no matter your age. We’re sharing eight of Iris’s fashion, beauty and lifestyle tips that make us extra excited to watch the upcoming documentary film based on her life, Iris.
1. Signature Eyewear: We can’t talk about Iris without mentioning her trademark eyewear. Her glasses might look super expensive, but she told The Coveteur that she found them at a flea market, and she wears them with or without lenses. She’s not the only celeb who is a big fan of thrifting.
2. Red Lipstick: Her favorite shade of lipstick is bright red — actually, she describes the shade as “very, very, bright, bright, bright red,” to The Coveteur. Whether you’re going for a vampy look or classic glamour, there’s a red lipstick shade for everyone.
3. Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number: Iris doesn’t believe that women of a certain age should be limited in what they want to wear or how they style themselves. Instead, she tells Harper;s Bazaar, “Wear what’s appropriate for what you’re doing, how you live and what your lifestyle is.” We couldn’t agree more.
4. Flea Market Lover: The greater part of Iris’s style comes from various flea markets. She finds the most outrageous, one-of-a-kind pieces of fabric, clothes and accessories from flea markets and puts them all together for one iconic look. She proves you don’t need to drop a ton of cash to look like a style icon.
5. Fashion Diversity: For Iris, the fashion world’s attitude about age hasn’t changed fast enough. She told the New York Times that designers should address the 65+-year-old market, and not just the younger crowd. With the power of expendable income, the 65+ market has infinite possibilities for growth. We’d love it if Instagram was filled with #ootd snaps from all ages.
6. Eat Healthy: She told Style.com that she never eats junk food, never drinks soda and don’t smoke anymore. She drinks an alcoholic drink lightly now and then. While we’re not quite ready to kick our margaritas to the curb, we are all about the clean eating.
7. Embrace Clutter: Iris would disagree with KonMari. She keeps her house filled with treasures. “I love clutter. I think being totally minimal shows a lack of history and soul, and I find it sort of pitiful,” Iris dishes to the New York Times. She also expressed the importance of displaying personality at home to The Coveteur, saying, “While some of these homes are very beautiful, they look anonymous to me. They could be suites in very expensive hotels, but they don’t tell you who lives there.”
8. Humor is Key: Humor is everything, especially in fashion and lifestyle. Iris dresses with a sense of humor and is all about pushing herself every day, living positively in the moment and forgetting about everything else that is going on. Iris’s focus on enjoying the life she lives is something we aspire to.
What did you think of Iris’s fashion and lifestyle tips? What do you look forward to seeing in her upcoming film? Tell us in the comments below.
(Photos via Larry Busacca, Rob Kim, Monica Schipper/Getty)
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?
We turned to trusted intimates brand Adore Me to set us straight on trends for the year ahead, featuring size-inclusive bodysuits, romantic bustiers, lacy babydoll styles, and everything in between. Luxe sets start at $24.95 with free shipping and exchanges, and if you're not sure what style would work best for you, Adore Me has an at-home styling service called the Elite Box. You can try everything on from the comfort and safety of your home, keep what you love, and send back the rest totally hassle-free. Need more to pique your interest? Scroll ahead to see the silky lingerie and loungewear pieces we're adding to our cart.
Adore Me Svana Contour Set ($24.95): You can't go wrong with this playful satin cherry print and lace design.
Adore Me Luana Camisole & Short Set ($24.95): It was about time for a PJ upgrade, and this silky set is perfect for sweet dreamin' and lounging around the house.
Adore Me Gynger Unlined Set ($24.95): Va-va-voom! Hands-down the sexiest piece in the collection, this bra boasts a fiery red bow and skin-showing cups — literally confidence in a bra!
Adore Me Evetta Unlined Set ($24.95): This barely-there flouncy lace set is for when you'd almost rather wear nothing at all.
Adore Me Desirae Robe ($24.95): Take your self-care to the next level with this so-soft robe with subtle lace detailing.
Adore Me Clarisse Unlined Bodysuit ($24.95): This floral lace bodysuit with adjustable attached garters is straight out of our lingerie fantasy.
Adore Me Charlize Unlined Set ($24.95): If plum is more your power color, you'll love this sheer lace set.
Adore Me Helene Cheeky Plus (5 for $20): Our underwear drawer needs a little TLC too, and these comfy undies with coverage are the answer.
Adore Me Kaia Contour Plus Set ($24.95): Cutouts are all the rage, so why not have them in your underwear too?
Adore Me Kaia Contour Set ($24.95): Oh, and it comes in fire engine red — yes, please!
Adore Me Clarisse Bodysuit ($24.95): If you weren't sure about bodysuits, let this classic style change your mind.
Adore Me Corina Push Up Bustier ($24.95): Like more volume in the cleavage area? This sexy corset situation is for you.