100 #TBT Halloween Costumes for Folks Who Love a Throwback
It’s Thursday, and it’s time for an extra special edition of #TBT! Presenting not 10, not 20, but 100 Halloween costume ideas for folks who love to throw it back. From the ’20s to the early 2000s, we’ve got something for every single one of you Bettys, Barneys and Beanie Babies.
SOLO #TBT COSTUMES
1. Red Fraggle: One of the leading faces from the kooky ’80s TV series can surely help bring back the nostalgia this Halloween. It’s sure to put a BIG muppet-style smile on your face in this getup. (via Brit + Co)
2. Hanson Teen Beat Cover: Our esteemed Editorial Director Lisa gets DOUBLE the points for this throwback — it’s her costume from 1997! (via @lraptweets)
5. Poison Ivy: This foxy lady is fierce, fashionable and a little bit frightening. (via Klout)
6. Carmen Sandiego: This intercontinental style icon will always be relevant. To create the look, it’s all about making sure you’ve got a few key elements (like that red hat with yellow trim!) covered. (via Brit + Co)
8. Wednesday Addams: Go goth with this adorable Wednesday Addams get up. This costume calls for the most layers — black tights, a collared shirt, and a tight cardigan — which will certainly help keep you cozy. Channel your inner troublemaker and start perfecting that straight-faced, vapid stare. (via Brit + Co)
10. Home Improvement‘s Wilson: If you have a bucket hat and an old flannel lying around, all this costume requires are a few popsicle sticks from the craft store (or a sneaky trip to the doctor’s office) and a little bit of glue. Folks may get confused if you swap the makeshift fence for a drink, but pop it up in front of your face and all those JTT lovers will instantly recognize/adore you. (viaUproxx)
13. Lisa Turtle: We kind of think of this one as a hybrid between Lisa Turtle and Kelly Kapowski — the volume and sunny attitude is all Kelly, and the incredible vest and gold lame mini dress has Lisa written all over it. (via Brit + Co)
14. Treasure Troll: Inspired by our girl Misty’s costume from Halloween last year, this is probably our favorite maternity costume idea EVER but takes a bold pregnant mama to pull it off. (Thanks for being willing to humor us all, Brit!) (via Brit + Co)
21. Mary Poppins: Tie a red ribbon around your neck and glue some flowers into a bowler hat for a simple and classy costume option. Even if it doesn’t look like rain, grab an umbrella for extra character. (via Say Yes)
28. Ace Ventura: This dude is nailing it as Miami’s finest pet detective. Rock this look in a Hawaiian shirt, high-rise pants and combat boots, or opt for his memorable tutu ensemble instead. (via Marie Marie)
30. Bjork at the 2001 Academy Awards: Pretend you’re at the Oscars with this fanciest of costumes. Take advantage of Halloween and use it as an excuse to wear heaps of tulle to work. (via A Beautiful Mess)
32. Steve Urkel: Piece together a pair of suspenders, some nerd glasses and high-rise pants for this costume. It’ll look so good when you sneak a peak in the mirror. on’t be surprised if your first thought is, “Did I do that?” (via Reddit)
GROUP #TBT COSTUMES
37. Cast of The Breakfast Club: This unlikely crew of five is one of the most celebrated high school groups in movie history. A few key accessories and some ’80s outfits will make this one a cinch. (via ELJ All Arts Annex)
42. Mario Kart: The race is on! Mario costumes can be a little tired, but this group punches it up with an amazing Mario Kart version. Or you could try a Dr. Mario or Mario Tennis angle, too!
49. Clue: Clue is one of the all-time best group costumes, period. Camille Styles threw a Clue-themed, whodunnit dinner party where everyone dressed to the nines, but you could also go authentic and model your characters after the hilarious ’80s film. (via Camille Styles)
50. Scooby Doo Crew: Shaggy’s look is priceless.
51. Cast of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: You guys. This group costume is too good for words. Whether you’re looking for a couples costume, a besties costume or a group getup, this legendary ’80s movie has fantastic options (and gives you a perfectly good excuse to play hooky). (via Pinterest + Ten:Thirteen Design)
58. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: This might be one of our favorite jumping photos ever – the painted-on six packs really seal the deal.
59. Beanie Babies: Speaking of babies, remember when collecting beanie babies was everyone’s get-rich-quick scheme?
COUPLES #TBT COSTUMES
63. Bob Ross and Happy Little Tree: If you grew up with painting pro Bob Ross telling you how to paint “happy little trees,” then you’ll probably feel a bit nostalgic with this one. The costume can be a solo act or a group effort if you have a happy little tree or two. (via C.R.A.F.T)
64. Sonic + Tails: These ladies prove that you don’t have to be wearing fishnets and lingerie to look cute on Halloween. You may even find the makings of these colorful Sonic and Tails outfits in your closet already! (via Fashionably Geek)
65. Twins: Journey with us back to 1988, when a world accepted the idea that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito could be… twins? Wait, WHAT? Khakis, penny loafers (or moccasins) and matching blazers make this look, but it’s those ’80s patterned short sleeve button downs on the inside that take it to the next level. Oh, and I happen to be playing the role of Danny DeVito in this costume ;) (via Brit + Co)
66. Hansel and Zoolander: Both of these guys deserve an Oscar for getting these costumes so spot on. If you’re going as Zoolander, make sure to spend a solid hour perfecting that “Blue Steel” look. (via Imgarcade)
67. Angela Chase and Jordan Catalano: Oh, these two. The teenage angst, the dyed hair, the flannel. Can we please bring back My So-Called Life? And guess what? The Angela in this costume is our very own editor, Kate Puhala. Woot woot!
69. Will and Carlton: This is a story all about how… two guys had totally amazing Fresh Prince costumes. Okay, so maybe that’s not actually how the song goes, but we like that version better. (via Imgur)
70. Dylan and Brenda from 90210: We had to serve up the side by side for this one — that strapless dress with giant white bow and black gloves is just too good. In true 90210 fashion, this is definitely one of the more angsty, volatile couples of the ’90s. (via I Am Not a Stalker)
71. Sonny and Cher: This pop star pair are a favorite for costume season, but Rachel Zoe and her hubby Roger Berman look nearly unidentifiable! Their attention to detail is stellar. (via @rachelzoe)
73. Serena + Blair: It would be pretty tough to copy Blair Waldorf and Serena van der Woodsen’s actual looks from the hit show Gossip Girl, but you can still channel these Upper East Side school girls with some classic accessories — pearls and a headband for B and a short skirt and loose tie for S. (via People)
74. Kelly Kapowski + Zack Morris: The cutest duo of the ’90s? Kelly and Zack, duh! Combine your love for early ’90s fashion and your love for Saved by the Bell into one rad couples costume. (via Ian Brooks)
80. Legends of the Hidden Temple: The Blue Barracudas always *were* our favorite team — don’t tell the Green Monkeys… (via Amy Bagdonas)
82. Jay and Silent Bob: Snoochie boochies! Remember these two weirdos from Mallrats? (via Klout)
85. Wayne and Garth: Can you say…. schwiiiing? Leave it to Brit + Co editor Kate Puhala to make dressing up as Wayne Campbell actually look chic. The underbite-based smile that Garth is sporting really seals the deal. (via Brit + Co)
86. Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love: Whether the dog represents Frances Bean is still TBD, but this is one of our all-time favorite costumes. And guess what? It was actually one of the entries to our costume contest way back in 2012! #tbt? :)
87. The Big Lebowski: We think the dude would definitely abide.
BABY AND KID #TBT COSTUMES
88. Lebowski: From Lebowski to little Lebowski! Your little dude might not know that his costume is based on one of the best movie characters ever, but he’ll enjoy all the attention from the other cool parents. (via Skirt As Top)
98. Stay Puft Marshmallow Man: Seriously? This is the best homemade costume we’ve ever seen. Ok, maybe that’s too extreme, but it is incredible. And the kid’s expression? Perfection. (via Costume Works)
Are you going retro this Halloween? We can’t wait to see costumes — be sure to enter the Brit + Co Costume Contest!