Learn a New Language by Chatting With a Bot + 4 More Rad Apps!
CHEERS TO YOU! YOU MADE IT THROUGH ANOTHER WEEK! As the weeks get colder, it seems like they also get longer. So now’s your time to celebrate. There are always lots of different ways to spend your two days off. For the tech-ier among you, we’ve got (as always) your list of the five best apps you should DL to your phone right now. Spend your weekend learning a new language, trying on some virtual makeup or directing an art film. You’ve got until Monday to play with these new apps.
1. Duolingo: Duolingo just released a new update that will make learning a language easier than ever before. Yes, learning vocab and grammar is important, but most of us want to know how to actually speak a language. The app’s new AI bots simulate conversation so it’s almost like you’re talking to a real person.
2. Looks: Imagine if there were Snapchat filters to try out makeup, and you kind of have an idea as to how this new app works. Focus on your face, select which products you’d like to “try out” and see how they look in real time.
3. Charmer: See what your friends really think of you in just three words. This new app lets you select three words to describe all your friends. As each friend selects words about you, your “word map” profile will grow. It’s almost like a personality quiz, but curated for you by your pals.
4. Dramatic Ellipsis: We love hyper-dramatic texts. This new iMessage add-on will bring all of your mundane texts to comic book action in a second. Now you can slide into an inbox with a KA-POW!
5. Prisma: You’ve definitely seen some Prisma “artsy” profile pictures popping up on Facebook recently, right? Well, the app just issued a new update that will let you add the cool effects to any video you shoot. So now you can turn your home movies into a work of art.
Which was your favorite app this week? Let us know @BritandCo!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!