14 Make-Ahead Halloween Treats for a Stress-Free Party
Halloween is arguably one of the most fun holidays. There are no gifts to buy, there’s candy corn recipes galore and you get to be someone you’re not for a night! That means you want to spend most of your time partaking in the party and *not* slaving away in the kitchen. The solutions to this are no-bake Halloween treats and a stockpile of make-ahead recipes that you can either prep early or cook way in advance so that you can relax once guests arrive. While you’re contemplating this year’s costume, get to pinning these 14 make-ahead recipes that will make your Halloween a breeze.
1. Gummy Worm Ice Cubes: Whether you’re indulging in a cocktail or serving a bunch of kids mocktails, these creepy crawly cubes will liven up any drink. You can dye the cubes any color you wish or you can try using juices instead. (via Taking Care of Monkey Business)
2. Bloody Good Cheesecake: Red velvet cheesecake serves as the bloody base for this massacre. The dripping blood is a frightening mixture of corn syrup, red food coloring and cornstarch… Or is it? Make sure you start the cheesecake a day in advance so it has plenty of time to chill. (via Sugar Dish)
3. Halloween Bundt Cake: Thanks to boxed cake mix, this cake isn’t nearly as difficult to make as it looks. The fun part is getting messy with icing and sprinkles to create your own Halloween masterpiece. (via Love Bakes Good Cakes)
4. Chocolate-Dipped Candy Corn Rice Krispie Treats: Enlist the help of a few kids and these candy corns will basically make themselves. When stored in an airtight container they’ll keep for several days… If you can keep everyone out of them. (via Pint-Sized Treasures)
5. Chocolate and Caramel Apples: Why would you spend a fortune on gourmet chocolate apples when you can easily make your own? Decorate each one with different toppings and prepare for people to fight over them. (via Hey Modest Marce)
6. Creepy Jello Cups: Jello is the ultimate make-ahead treat because it can last for ages in the fridge without changing. Pro tip: Definitely turn these into creepy Jello shots for an adults-only party. (via From Brazil to You)
7. Day of the Dead Cookies: Get your piping bags ready, because you have quite the task ahead of you. These intricate masks may be more advanced, but if you enjoy cookie decorating, it’ll be a fun challenge for the holiday. (via Wilton)
8. Halloween Trail Mix: No good Halloween party is complete without a snack mix. Combine all of the components way before guests arrive and try your best not to pick out all of the good stuff. (via The House of Hendrix)
9. Halloween Candy Saltine Bark: Break into your Halloween candy early to top this sweet and salty bark. It’s quick, it’s delicious and you don’t have to wait until the last moment to fix it. (via The Blonde Buckeye)
10. Pumpkin Slice and Bake Cookies: Slice and bake cookies are a must during any holiday. If you decide to make your own, you can freeze them and then slice off however many you need at a time. (via My Name is Yeh)
11. Pretzel Pumpkins: Instead of handing out the same old candy every year, make these pretzel pumpkins to give to trick or treaters. Pre-package them in baggies and they’re ready to distribute on Halloween. (via About)
12. Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Dip: Halloween kicks off pumpkin pie season, so it’s only fitting that you represent at your party. Serve this cheesecake dip in a hollowed baking pumpkin alongside Biscoff cookies for the ultimate dunking experience. (via A Night Owl)
13. Cheesy Halloween Breadstick Bones: These scary and delicious bones can be made up to the baking point and then frozen. When you’re ready, just pop them in the oven and serve with your favorite blood — er, marinara. (via Just a Taste)
14. Shredded Chicken and Rice Stuffed Peppers: Even if you’re just having a chill Halloween at home, you have to celebrate a little bit. Turn your mundane dinner into a festive pumpkin by carving a jack-o’-lantern face in an orange bell pepper. (via Everyday Jenny)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious Halloween recipe ideas.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.