20 Mid-Century Modern DIYs for Instant Style
You may *love* the vibrant colors and whimsical prints that define mid-century modern decor, but your wallet may not. Fortunately, you don’t have to spend big bucks to turn your home into a scene straight outta Mad Men. Rather than dishing out hundreds, consider these mid-century modern DIY hacks that’ll make both you *and* your bank account happy. Scroll on to get inspired by your favorite trends from the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s with these 20 DIY mid-century modern ideas.
2. DIY Gold Sea Urchin: Replicate the iconic gold sea urchin (AKA starburst) wall decor using inexpensive items you can find at your local craft store. For each starburst, you’ll need to slice a foam ball in half, stick it with bamboo skewers and coat the whole thing with gold spray paint. (via Love Maegan)
3. DIY Vase: Inspired by the Marlow Vase from CB2, this DIY version combines affordability and good ol’ crafting fun. Though this vase features black peel-and-stick vinyl triangles, you can try a more colorful take. Consider multicolored honeycombs or another classic mid-century pattern. (via Dream Green DIY)
4. DIY Mid-Century Trinket Dish: TBH, it’s a little hard not to drop what you’re doing to make these especially adorable trinket dishes. If you’re an accessories lover or a collector of unnecessary knick-knacks, this DIY is the cutest solution to your clutter. (via Enthralling Gumption)
5. DIY Wall Art: Instantly brighten up your space with wall art, like this piece made from a table runner. Yup, you read that right. Luckily, you can do it too — and with any piece of fabric! Using a glue gun, adhere half-circle dowels to the top and bottom of your fabric and secure the whole thing to the wall with push pins or staples. (via Ohoh Blog)
6. DIY Retro Sideboard: This retro DIY doubles as an IKEA hack, so if you’ve been wondering how to upgrade your BESTA shelf, look no further. To achieve this masterpiece, you’ll need warm-toned wooden table legs and two hexagon door knockers. (via Sugar & Cloth)
7. DIY Honeycomb Shelves: For a minimalist take, leave the shelves bare. Otherwise, add a backing and consider painting it a burnt orange or teal. Pro tip: Before cutting the six pieces of wood, ensure each piece is measured at a 30-degree angle. (via Burkatron)
8. DIY Vintage Campaign Desk: Stick to painting your campaign desk a vibrant coral for a more modern approach. Alternatively, you could play up the mid-century aesthetic with colors like pewter, tangerine or lime. (via That Winsome Girl)
9. DIY Mid-Century Modern Bench: Brighten up your bedroom or entryway with this statement bench made from a colorful kilim rug. Combine the bold print with hairpin legs and you’ve got your very own mid-century modern home essential. (via eHow)
10. DIY Starburst Mirror: Mirrors are an easy way to visually brighten and open up a room. So why not spruce up your space with this stunning starburst mirror? Its vintage-meets-modern design would look great wherever you choose to hang it — whether it’s in the entryway, dining room or living room. (via Blitsy)
11. DIY Mid-Century Plant Stand: Pre-cut wooden circles and square dowels come together in this mid-century plant stand DIY. Achieve a similar classic minimalist look by painting the wooden circles white and leaving the dowels bare. (via A Beautiful Mess)
12. DIY Mid-Century Wall-Mounted Mailbox: Check eBay for a brass box like this one. Then add your house number with chunky black peel-and-stick vinyl letters to give your front porch a welcome vintage charm. (via Dream Green DIY)
13. DIY Mid-Century Nightstand: If this bare wooden nightstand is a little too modern for your taste, vintage it up with something as simple as a honey-hued wood stain. Or, if you dig the simplified and minimalist design, just leave it be! (via Burkatron)
14. DIY Mid-Century Modern Table: Bring those mid-century modern vibes to your living room with this vintage-inspired coffee table. Though this maker chose to go with a jellybean shape, feel free to experiment with your own interpretation. For starters, consider a crescent, trapezoid or triangle with rounded edges — there are so many possibilities! (via Wonder Forest)
15. DIY Mid-Century Modern Desk: Though this Dot & Bo desk is no longer available, Amy from Hertoolbelt provides step-by-step instructions on how to achieve a similar look. To get a desk as sleek as this, you’ll definitely want to take on this weekend project. (via Remodelaholic)
16. DIY Mid-Century Modern Dresser: Pair vintage with modern by combining neutral and warm tones in this IKEA dresser hack. Add a nice metallic touch with brass pulls for a retro sheen. (via A Vintage Splendor)
17. DIY Thrifted Wooden Bowls: Now you can incorporate your favorite summer fruits into your mid-century modern obsession. Paint the rim of each bowl a bright color; then once it’s dry, seal it with a clear coat. (via Maize Hutton)
18. DIY Mid-Century Side Table: Set aside this weekend to put together this pretty side table your living room *totally* needs. Balance out the vintage wood finish with a refreshing pop of color. (via Sugar & Cloth)
19. DIY Blush Pink Side Chair: Give your thrift store find a modern finish with pink and gold spray paint. For a more gender-neutral color, consider an invigorating shade of mint. (via Dream Green DIY)
20. DIY Vintage Night Stand: As beautiful as the end product is, this modern vintage piece was once a frumpy cream-colored night stand. That proves that anything is possible — with maple veneer, tapered legs and paint, that is. (via Visual Heart)
Are you in love with mid-century modern decor? For more DIY decor trends, pop on over to our Pinterest!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)