Morning Buzz! Watch the Powerful Moment That Made Michelle Obama Emotional During Her DNC Speech + More
Happy Tuesday morning, y’all! The DNC and some juicy Bachelorette drama lead today’s Buzziest news items. Check those and more out below.
1. Michelle Obama was electrifying at the DNC last night. Even though day one of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia started a little shaky, with Bernie Sanders supporters booing speakers (and Sarah Silverman having to tell them they were being ridiculous), Michelle Obama delivered a moving speech in support of Hillary that will no doubt be replayed well into the week. Lines like “when they go low, you go high” are already standing out as favorites from the speech, but it was when Michelle drew a line between her husband’s historical legacy as the first black president and Hillary being the first woman candidate that things got emotional. “I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves and I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent black young women, playing with their dogs on the White House lawn,” Michelle said, fighting back tears. “Because of Hillary Clinton, my daughters, and all our sons and daughters, now take for granted that a woman can be the president of the United States.” If that wasn’t enough to get you reaching for your tissue, later last night, Barack tweeted, “Incredible speech by an incredible woman. Couldn’t be more proud & our country has been blessed to have her as FLOTUS. I love you, Michelle.” GAH. Watch Michelle’s full speech here.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Brittany + Cynthia Daniel (@brittanyandcynthiadaniel) on
2. You won’t believe what the twins from Sweet Valley High look like now. Um, it’s exactly the same. Almost 20 years after the show ended, twins Brittany and Cynthia Daniel are still glued together at the hip, posting their worldly adventures on their joint “Twin Travelers” Instagram account — aka your new obsession.
— The Bachelorette (@BacheloretteABC) July 26, 2016
3. Bachelorette fans are freaking out over this contestant’s dismissal. That’s right, fan — and seemingly JoJo — favorite Luke was NOT given a rose to be included in the final two at the ceremony, despite his last-minute attempt to sway JoJo by telling her he was in love with her. Was it too much? Is he just being set up to be the next Bachelor? Either way, fans on #TheBachelorette hashtag are in collective mourning together, losing their mind over those sad puppy dog eyes and smack-talking the remaining contestants. We will let them grieve in peace.
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) July 25, 2016
4. Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen bonded over the fact that they both got in fights with their husbands at each others’ weddings. In Kim’s latest “Inner Circle” video on her website, Chrissy admits that at Kim and Kanye’s wedding in Italy, she had to be put in her place after an undisclosed fight with John Legend. “You know when you think everything’s about you? I was like, ‘we ruined the wedding and everyone noticed’ and everyone’s like ‘no, not really, nobody noticed.'” Shut down! Kim also reveals that she was mad at Kanye at Chrissy and John’s Italy wedding as well — and she wasn’t even there! “I didn’t go because [North] was just born and I was so fat and I was like ‘I have nothing to wear,’ and so then he kept texting me being like, ‘Babe this is the most beautiful wedding,’ ‘Babe this is so pretty, I really wish you were here at Lake Como. We got into the biggest fight — I was like just stop texting me — go enjoy the wedding, cause you’re making me feel so bad, and I’m so fat!'” All the money in the world can’t buy your way out of a good old fashioned text fight sometimes.
— Good Morning America (@GMA) July 25, 2016
5. And because the DNC was inspiring if not adorable, here’s something to fix that: two people getting engaged on stage before it started. Staffer Andrew Binns planned a surprise proposal for his gf, fellow staffer Liz Hart, who thought they were getting on stage for a photo op. When a photo montage and Justin Timberlake’s “Can’t Stop the Feeling” started playing on the big screen, she knew something was up. It ended on a picture of a beach with the words “Will you marry me?” written in sand, and when Andrew dropped to one knee, Liz had no choice but to say yes. Adorable! (h/t EW)
How many times have you watched Michelle Obama’s speech already? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Jessica Kourkounis/Getty)