See Which Baby Names Are the Most Popular in Each State
Thanks to the Social Security Administration we found out what the *official* top baby names of 2014 were just last week. Never fully satisfied by one baby name reveal, our endless search of new naming stats continues. This week, the organization (feeling generous, huh, SSA?) revealed the top baby names per state. The rankings were determined from the collection of info compiled by new parents applying for social security numbers for their newborns. We definitely wouldn’t want to be the number cruncher for the government organization, but we do thank you for doing it, whoever you are!
Though a lot of the names overlap with the SSA’s top baby names list, it is interesting to see which states favor what particular name for their newborn boy or girl. Overall, the top names in every state were Emma and Olivia for the little ladies and Liam and William for the baby bros with a sprinkling of others throughout the rest of the country. Also to note, parents seem to break the mold a little more when it comes to giving their boys a name as are there were 10 top names for the guys, while the gals only made it to #8. Check out the full list of top names for boys + girls per state below and let us know if your little one’s is on either.
MOST POPULAR GIRL BABY NAMES IN EACH STATE
1. Emma: Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia
2. Olivia: Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
3. Sophia: Arizona, California, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, West Virginia
4. Ava: Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina
5. Harper: North Dakota, South Dakota
6. Elizabeth: Washington, D.C.
7. Isabella: Florida
8. Mia: New Mexico
MOST POPULAR BOY BABY NAMES IN EACH STATE
1. Liam: Alaska, Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington
2. William: Alabama, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia
3. Noah: Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas
4. Mason: Arkansas, Connecticut, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Wisconsin
5. Jackson: Wyoming
6. Alexander: Washington, D.C.
7. Jacob: New Hampshire, New York
8. Benjamin: Massachusetts
9. Michael: New Jersey
10. Henry: Minnesota
Is your baby’s name the most popular in your state? Let us know in the comments.
(h/t Business Insider)
Still haven't taken up that new creative skills you swore you'd learn this year? Or ready to take your design skills to the next level? Let's say so long to the weirdest year ever by checking those big learn-something-new goals off our perpetual to-do lists.
We've teamed up with Clorox to give you the gift of unlimited creativity now through the end of the year. Once you sign up, you can take as many of our 120+ classes as you want for FREE for one whole month!
Here's how it works:
- Head to brit.co/learn and sign up for the "All Access Pass."
- Use the code "CLOROXCARES" at checkout to redeem your free month of classes.
- You will be automagically signed up for Clorox's email list once you redeem your free all access pass. (It's the #1 Choice for Disinfection!)
- Your pass lasts one month from when you checkout. This means you have unlimited access to all the classes during that month.
This offer is valid now through December 27, 2020.
Browse our catalog to find the right class for you, tell a friend and take the class together over Zoom, or organize a 'cocktails + crafts' night with a friend in your bubble so you can learn something new together.
What are you waiting for? Time to start learning all the things!
Thanks to Clorox for making this happen! When it counts, trust Clorox.