Thanks to the Social Security Administration we found out what the *official* top baby names of 2014 were just last week. Never fully satisfied by one baby name reveal, our endless search of new naming stats continues. This week, the organization (feeling generous, huh, SSA?) revealed the top baby names per state. The rankings were determined from the collection of info compiled by new parents applying for social security numbers for their newborns. We definitely wouldn’t want to be the number cruncher for the government organization, but we do thank you for doing it, whoever you are!
Though a lot of the names overlap with the SSA’s top baby names list, it is interesting to see which states favor what particular name for their newborn boy or girl. Overall, the top names in every state were Emma and Olivia for the little ladies and Liam and William for the baby bros with a sprinkling of others throughout the rest of the country. Also to note, parents seem to break the mold a little more when it comes to giving their boys a name as are there were 10 top names for the guys, while the gals only made it to #8. Check out the full list of top names for boys + girls per state below and let us know if your little one’s is on either.
MOST POPULAR GIRL BABY NAMES IN EACH STATE
1. Emma: Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia
2. Olivia: Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
3. Sophia: Arizona, California, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, West Virginia
4. Ava: Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina
5. Harper: North Dakota, South Dakota
6. Elizabeth: Washington, D.C.
7. Isabella: Florida
8. Mia: New Mexico
MOST POPULAR BOY BABY NAMES IN EACH STATE
1. Liam: Alaska, Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington
2. William: Alabama, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia
3. Noah: Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas
4. Mason: Arkansas, Connecticut, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Wisconsin
5. Jackson: Wyoming
6. Alexander: Washington, D.C.
7. Jacob: New Hampshire, New York
8. Benjamin: Massachusetts
9. Michael: New Jersey
10. Henry: Minnesota
Is your baby’s name the most popular in your state? Let us know in the comments.
(h/t Business Insider)