On chilly nights, or when your soul needs some comfort, nothing hits the spot like a bowl of soup. Spicy soups warm you from the inside out, and noodle soups are like a meal and an activity all in one. Even if you only have a few minutes, you can whip up a 15-minute blender soup to sate your cravings. But chowder, with its creamy broth and hearty texture, is a special kind — even when you leave out the signature clams. From corn to curry, these 16 chowder recipes will make you want to have soup for dinner every night of the week.
2. Vegan New England Clam Chowder: Make a creamy vegan stew that tastes like the New England classic, thanks to a few simple swaps. Sautéed mushrooms sub in for clams, while a blend of cashews and soy milk make the broth taste as rich and delicious as the original. (via Vegan Huggs)
3. Slow Cooker Corn Chowder With Bacon: Corn chowder is always a hit, walking the fine line between sweet and savory in a most delicious way. But bacon, with its smokey and meaty flavor, really sets this recipe over the top. (via Peas and Peonies)
4. Creamy Ham and Bean Chowder: Ham and bean soup is even more crave-worthy when it’s amped up with a creamy broth. Just a splash of heavy cream is all it takes to make a leftover ham hock and some dried beans taste like a five-star meal. (via The View from Great Island)
5. Coconut Fish Chowder: A take on Thai tom kha, this chowder is made with coconut milk. Each bite is filled with the flavors of makrut lime leaves, ginger, and chilies, which lend intense flavor to the white fish, potatoes, and veggies that make up the bulk of the meal. (via Sippity Sup)
6. Manhattan Chickpea Chowder: Chock full of tomatoes, veggies, and chickpeas, this take on Manhattan clam chowder is great for all diets. It’s vegan and gluten-free, but still has all of the elements of great comfort food. (via Connoisseurus Veg)
8. Indo-Chinese Corn Chowder: Made in a pressure cooker, this vegan chowder comes together in no time. It’s delicately flavored with just a hint of sesame oil, grated ginger, cumin, and soy sauce, to let the flavor of the corn, carrots, and cabbage shine through. (via Veggies Save the Day)
9. Roasted Potato, Corn, and Leek Chowder: Rich and hearty, this soup gets incredible flavor thanks to a simple technique. The potatoes are roasted before being added to the coconut milk broth and pureed, lending a toasted, caramelized note to each spoonful. (via Domesticate Me)
10. Easy Cheesy Fiesta Chowder: Cheddar cheese and whipping cream give this soup an unbelievably luxurious texture. Chicken bulks things up, while spices, herbs, and some extra veggies round out the pot. (via Briana Thomas)
11. Irish Fish Chowder: Bacon and smoked haddock add a complex flavor to this Irish fish chowder. It’s also got salmon, cod, and mussels, making seafood-lovers very happy indeed. (via Caroline’s Cooking)
12. Creamy Curried Slow Cooker Chowder: Frozen black-eyed peas make this curried chowder an easy, healthy meal. Full of protein, fiber, and nutrients, this vegan soup won’t leave you hungry. (via Holy Cow!)
13. Cajun Sweet Potato Seafood Chowder: This sweet, spicy, smokey seafood chowder hits the mark on all flavor fronts, thanks to a vibrant mix of sweet potato, corn, tarragon, lemon juice, shrimp, and Cajun seasoning (just to name a few!). (via Closet Cooking)
14. Squash, Parsnip, and Fennel Soup: Gently sautéed squash and root veggies form the base of this healthy vegetarian chowder. It’s the perfect meal for nights when you want comfort food, but aren’t in the mood for a heavy dinner. (via Vegetarian Department)
15. Andouille Corn Chowder: Andouille is a too-often overlooked option when it comes to sausage. It adds a unique, spicy flavor to this creamy chowder, playing well with the sweetness of the corn. (via Nutmeg Nanny)
16. Slow Cooker Sweet Corn and Chicken Chowder: Zesty lime juice, cumin, fire-roasted chilies, and garlic make this Mexican-inspired soup taste surprisingly light. Mild chicken takes on the flavor of the broth, for a wholly satisfying meal. (via Chelsea’s Messy Apron)
For more delicious dinner ideas, follow us on Pinterest.