17 DIY Pillows That Are Too Cool to Be a Square
Squares are cool and all, but when it comes to cuddling up with the perfect pillow, the shape just doesn’t always cut it. If you’re re-doing your cushy textiles, you might want to consider something a little out of the ordinary for that couch, armchair or bed. Forget about all those typical square pillows and go for a few with a bit more personality. Whether you prefer food-shaped pillows, trendy typographical pillows or a good nature-inspired accent, no couch is complete without a solid collection of pillows of all shapes and sizes. Check out these 17 funky DIY throw pillows that will get your couch thinking way outside the box.
1. DIY Circus Animal Cookie: There’s nothing better than food-turned-decor, especially with treats as sweet as these. Bring back those favorite childhood snacks and DIY a collection of animal crackers for your couch. (via Studio DIY)
2. DIY No-Sew Funfetti Cake Slice Pillow: If you want to make some gorgeous new pillows without messing with a sewing machine, you’ll be drooling all over this sweet slice of cake. Bring on the baking — and by baking, we mean gluing. (via Aww, Sam)
3. DIY Woven Floor Pouf: Add a fun new piece of seating to your little one’s room this weekend with a colorful woven pouf. Pull that old saucer sled out from the garage and use it as a base as you weave the pouf together — just don’t pull it too tight or you’ll end up with an Easter egg shape. (via Brit + Co)
4. DIY Emoji Dog Bed: Every pooch needs an emoji bed. Don’t have a dog? Every adult needs an emoji floor pillow. Pick out your fave emoji face and use iron-on stickers to put together this project before you finish catching up on Netflix. (via Studio DIY)
6. DIY Mini Pretzel Pillow: Turn your favorite TV snack into mini pillows. This is a really easy sewing project and once you get the hang of them, you can definitely make them as big as you want. Just stitch, twist and salt. (via Little Inspiration)
7. DIY Geometric Tasseled Pillows: Take your classic square throw and add four more sides and eight more tassels. With the contrasting colors and flirty trimmings, these poofs are a must for your couch revamp plans. (via Brit + Co)
8. DIY Pet Pillows: Is it crazy to have a pillow that looks just like your pet? Crazy cute, maybe. Take your favorite pics to a printing store and get them to transfer the image onto fabric. Add a colorful backing, and you’ve finally got a cat who will cuddle with you on demand. (via Yellow Brick Road)
9. DIY Diamond Pillow: Bling, bling. Diamond pillows are your couch’s new best friend, especially when you can make them in any color you want. Don’t let the angles intimidate you — if you can sew in a straight line, you can “rock” this DIY. (via Little White Whale)
10. DIY Cactus Pillow: Finally, a plant you have no chance of killing. There’s no gardening required for these cool, cacti pillows… and they are a no-sew project, which means you’re avoiding those needles too. Huge win-win. (via Brit + Co)
11. DIY Mountain Pillow: This snowy peak should definitely be on your “to-make” list — it’s quick, useful and adorable. It would also be a great gift idea for any adventure-lovers in your life. (via Design Sponge)
12. DIY Stuffed Balloon Animal Pillows: No loud popping noises involved here — these soft fabric buddies will last forever. The bright colors and cool design might make this pillow the coolest kids’ decor ever. (via Little Inspiration)
13. DIY Donut Pillow: Don’t be mad if this pretty DIY has you craving sprinkles. Pink frosting is on point with the Pantone pastel trend and the round shape is the perfect complement to the rest of your square throw pillows. Yummy. (via A Beautiful Mess)
14. DIY Pineapple Pillow: Bring tropical paradise right to your living room with an awesome geometric pineapple pillow. The yellow print is vibrant enough to welcome the warm spring weather *and* it will totally play well with the rest of your throw pillows. (via Caravanity)
15. DIY Knot Pillows: The trick to making these mini knot pillows is to use a paper towel tube when you add the stuffing. The knot looks a little complicated, but the end result is sooooo cool. (via Little Inspiration)
16. DIY Conversation Heart Pillows: Just because it’s not Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you can’t wear your heart on your sleeve — er, couch. Show off your loyalty to your bae (pizza, Netflix or your cat, obvz) with these fun conversation heart pillows. (via Brit + Co)
17. DIY Balloon Letter Pillows: Calling all hashtag lovers and typography gurus, this one’s for you. Spell out your favorite motto in golden, huggable form. The hardest part of this project is choosing your hashtag #sorrynotsorry. (via Studio DIY)
Which is your favorite pillow DIY? If you make one of these pillows, we want to check it out! Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)