The 8 Most Memorable (and Genius AF) TV Commercials of 2016
Although more and more people are moving onto streaming services like Amazon Prime and Netflix for all their entertainment, some of us are clinging to our PVRs as if we’re on the sinking Titanic. Even if you don’t have cable TV, one thing that hasn’t changed that much is the television commercial. And whether or not you’re one of those boob-tube lovin’ luddites like some of us (*raises hand*), you can still catch the commercials that have everyone talking thanks to YouTube. Here are the eight best of the past year, according to us.
1. Geico Sumo Figure Skater: Did you ever expect to see a sumo wrestler glide across the ice doing a flying dutchman or corkscrew spin? We love the surreal combination of sumo and figure skating in this insurance ad.
2. Volkswagen Laughing Horses: Some of us may not be the best at parking, but we don’t have a bunch of horses laughing at our failed attempts. This commercial is for the VW “trailer assist” option for people who back up regularly with a trailer hitch. Neat feature, hilarious commercial.
3. IKEA Let’s Relax: Love love love this commercial! This combines some of our favorite things, including period costumes and IKEA. This commercial definitely has us feeling very silly about our Instagram habits but not enough that we’ll stop posting fancy dinner pics.
4. Apple Timer: Apple released a bunch of really great commercials this year, but this Cookie Monster one is our fave. Who wouldn’t want to bake cookies with the king of cookies? This commercial dropped with the 6s at the beginning of the year to announce Apple’s Hands-free Siri option.
5. Mountain Dew Puppymonkeybaby: OK, so a lot of people did not like this commercial, but its weirdness and the surprising cuteness of the Puppymonkeybaby have us hooked.
6. Old Navy Ex Boyfriend Featuring Amy Schumer: This commercial is so subtle but oh-so-awkward. Some of us may have done something similar when we ran into our exes. No judgement.
7. Geico Raccoons: Geico is on this list twice, basically because their commercials are hilarious. Who among us hasn’t made some questionable late-night food choices? These raccoons are just doing what we’ve all done before in secret.
8. AXE Find Your Magic: AXE may not be known for much more than their overly scented colognes, but this commercial, while not LOL funny, has some funny bits and some genuinely perfect moments.
Here’s to companies working on breaking out of their own molds and reaching out to new audiences, something we could all strive for.
What was your favorite commercial of 2016? Tell us @Britandco!
(Photo via Old Navy)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)