Pinterest Has Predicted the Top 10 Food Trends of 2017
Every year is a new frontier of food trends just waiting to be explored. With 2017 just around the corner, we can’t wait to see what’s in store for the coming year. While 2016 may go down as the year of ’90s nostalgia recipes, unicorn cakes and Paleo recipes, 2017 will no doubt have its own drool-worthy trends. In fact, Pinterest experts have already predicted what the hottest 2017 trends will be — and we have the inside scoop. Here are the top 10 things foodies have been pinning in recent weeks, indicating that these foods will probably be HUGE in 2017.
1. Easy Grilled Octopus: Octopus is healthy, flavorful, elegant and beautiful, so it’s no surprise that its popularity among home chefs is growing. Bonus: It’s easy to make too. You’ll just need to boil it, let it cool and then pop it on the grill. (via Cooking LSL)
2. Baked Vegetable Chips: French fries are *so* 2016. Just kidding; we’ll always appreciate a good fry, but we are also super IN LOVE with these colorful baked veggie chips. Made with baked beets, sweet potatoes, white potatoes and turnips, these healthy snacks will be all the rage in 2017. (via Hither & Thither)
3. Cuban Quinoa Bowl With Spicy Lemon Cashew Dressing: Buddha bowls are already big, but they’re poised to explode in popularity in the coming year or so. The good news is that you can make them with anything… in this case, tomatoes, quinoa, black beans, guacamole and sweet potatoes. (via Heather Christo)
4. Tomato, Mozzarella and Arugula Naan Pizza: You’ve probably nommed on naan while eating at Indian restaurants, but it’s also possible to make it right in the comfort of your own home. Bonus points for turning it into a fusion pizza masterpiece with arugula, mozzarella, tomatoes and balsamic glaze. (via I’m Bored Let’s Go)
5. Red Cabbage Sauerkraut With Apple Clove: Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage — that is, cabbage that’s had active strains of yeast added to it, creating healthy bacteria as a byproduct. This makes it super healthy, as it’s packed with natural probiotics that will line your gut and keep you feeling your best. (via The Hungry Hounds)
Olive Oil Alternatives
6. Grapeseed Oil: Don’t get us wrong, we still LOVE olive oil. But grapeseed is a delicious, healthy and popular alternative. Unlike olive oil, it has a very high smoke point, so it’s ideal for high-heat scenarios such as stir-frying, sautéing and searing. (via Foodal)
7. Beef Empanadas: One of the biggest pieces of news this year was the return of US tourists to Cuba, and with it is coming a renewed interest in Cuban cuisine. Case in point: these DELICIOUS beef empanadas, which showcase the flavors of onions, peppers, ground beef, cumin, cayenne pepper and garlic. (via Kitchen Dreaming)
8. Vegan Nachos With Barbecue Jackfruit: Jackfruit is a super hearty fruit that is beginning to trend as a substitute for meat. You read that right: You can substitute a FRUIT for a MEAT. So long, tofu! (via Dora’s Daily Dish)
Sous Vide Cooking
9. Pork Tenderloin With Rosemary Garlic Maple Glaze: Sous vide-style cooking has seen *huge* growth in recent weeks, and more and more home chefs are attempting the technique. Sous vide essentially involves putting your meat into a plastic, air-tight bag, then submerging it in water to cook. The result is a super juicy, tender, melt-in-your-mouth meal that you simply can’t accomplish with any other cooking method. (via Pink Brandywine)
10. Sour Beer: It’s no secret that home brewing is on-trend, but the latest type of beverage that’s sweeping the nation is the sour beer. This kind of brew will pair especially well with seafood such as oysters or mussels… or perhaps that octopus we talked about. (via Serious Eats)
For more foodie news and trends, follow us on Pinterest!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)