The holidays mean spending time with family and friends, but often that requires a little bit of travel to get there. Whether you’re flying across the country or driving across the state, you’ll want to keep a stash of healthy snacks on hand in case you run into any delays, cancellations or other travel mishaps. You’ll want to nosh on something made from real ingredients that’s full of nutrients to keep your energy up, immunity strong and hanger at bay. Plus, all of these options are way more tasty than anything an airport shop or rest stop food court can offer.
1. Sesame and Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Brownies: Yes, healthy brownies are possible! This version is sweetened with maple syrup and made with gluten-free flour so you have a snack that everyone can enjoy. (via Happy Hearted Kitchen)
2. Nut-Free Chocolate Chip Lara Bars: Many people have severe nut allergies and sometimes planes won’t allow snacks with nuts on board. Don’t get caught empty-handed if this happens to you. Most store-bought Lara Bars contain nuts, but you can make your own nut-free version at home. (via C It Nutritionally)
3. Homemade Chocolate Sunflower Seed Butter With Fruit and Celery: If there is one way to eat your fruits and veggies, it’s with chocolate. This dip doesn’t require any refrigeration, so you can keep it in your bag and buy veggies at a rest stop or at the airport. (via C It Nutritionally)
4. Orange Spiced Cashews: Skip the overpriced bags of nuts at the airport and bring your own homemade version. Bonus: Cooking these will make your house smell amazing. (via The Swearing Mom’s Guide to Life)
5. Pumpkin Spice Snack: Almonds are one of the best travel snacks because they are full of protein, fiber and healthy fat to keep you full. This seasonal twist on everyone’s favorite nut will make you look forward to that road trip to your grandparents’ house. (via Brit + Co)
6. Honey Roasted Chickpeas With Turkish Seasoning: Crunchy, salty, sweet and smokey — what more could you ask for from a travel snack? If you’re looking to add a little something extra to that airport salad or cup of soup, these are a great topping as well. (via Fox Valley Foodie)
7. Savory Parmesan Granola: It’s okay to not want a sweet snack. Start with the basics of granola — nuts and seeds — leave out the sugar and fruit, add spices and you have an irresistible snack. (via Craving Something Healthy)
8. Vegan Chia Protein Balls: Store-bought protein bars are often filled with fake sugars and whey proteins, which are a no-go for vegans. Spend 10 minutes the day before you leave whipping up this way yummier option. (via The Minimalist Vegan)
9. Healthy No Bake White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies: The last thing you have time to do before you head to your holiday destination is turn on the oven, so these no-bake cookies are for you. They’re not only gluten-free and vegan, but they’re also a great way to use up leftover holiday baking ingredients like white chocolate chips and cranberries. (via The Big Man’s World)
10. The Best Nut-Free Trail Mix: Traditional trail mix is delicious, but sometimes you want a snack that isn’t nuts. The chocolate chips only make this snack more drool-worthy. (via C It Nutritionally)
11. Hemp Protein Date Bars: If you haven’t tried the superfood hemp seeds yet, now’s your chance! With 10 grams of protein per serving, they will keep you full until you reach your destination. Hemp seeds are also a great source of iron, B vitamins, magnesium and manganese, AND they contain some Omega 3s! (via Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen)
12. Raspberry Crumble Muffins: Don’t worry about your breakfast being confiscated by TSA when you pack a homemade muffin for your trip… unless they know how delicious they are. Then all bets are off. (via Brit + Co)
13. Five Ingredient Quinoa Breakfast: You have a ton of leftover quinoa and a handful of berries in your refrigerator and you’re about to leave town for a week. Make these customizable breakfast jars to keep those hunger pangs at bay until lunch. (via Everyday Feasts)
What are your favorite travel snacks? Tell us below in the comments!