8 Products and Treatments for Stubborn Cellulite and Stretch Marks
Cellulite and stretch marks happen to the best of us, including celebs and models. Dimply patches, white or clear skin lines, and crepey areas near the butt, thighs, upper arms, and stomach can form over time, and whether we like it or not, they’re a part of life. But why do these annoying body markings and indentations exist in the first place?
Most people think of stretch marks as a result of overstretched skin since they are often spotted during pregnancy or after sudden weight gain. But according to board-certified dermatologist and founder of Miami Skin Institute, S. Manjula Jegasothy, “Stretch marks actually form when collagen and elastin fibers tear and levels of glucocorticoids (hormones produced by the adrenal glands) are elevated.” Unwanted cellulite lumps, however, form due to different circumstances. “On the contrary, dimpled cellulite can be genetic and… caused by the vertical formation of fibrous bands from the skin to the underlying fat,” she notes. Um, great? While we wish we could be as chill with these developments as some (we see you Sara Shakeel with your glitter stretch mark art and Chrissy Teigen with your “I embrace you, stretchies” tweets), there are ways to deal for those of us who, ahem, hate them.
How To Treat Stretch Marks
1. Platelet Rich Plasma Injections ($2,250+): According to Gerald Imber, plastic surgeon and director of Youth Corridor Clinic, some treatments like IPL (Intense Pulsed Light, a light-based therapy) can reduce redness caused by stretch marks (as do some alpha hydroxy acid creams), but injecting and micro needling platelet-rich plasma is a more effective way to treat them. “PRP significantly builds up healthy new collagen where there was just the broken-down skin of the stretch mark and reduces the purple color as well,” he says. The only catch is the procedure must be repeated three times for it to really work. (Photo via Youth Corridor Clinic)
2. Volition Beauty Eucalyptus Stretch Mark Minimizer ($48): Even lackluster skin tone and prevent new marks from forming (or minimize current ones) with this eucalyptus cream that stimulates and smooths imperfections. The solution includes eight essential oils like mandarin to brighten skin and diminish scars and age spots, as well as rose hip and jojoba to soften a scaly epidermis.
3. Fraxel Laser Treatments ($500+): “Skin-colored or white stretch marks are best treated with the Fraxel laser (done together or separately), followed by quality vitamin C and retinol products like Obagi Professional-C Serum ($77-115) and MDRejuvena Retinol applied topically,” says Jegasothy. This one-two punch utilizes the benefit of open microscopic channels in the skin barrier for the first 24 hours post-Fraxel and usually results in a 30-40 percent improvement in redness reduction and stretch mark blending, per session. (Photo via Fraxel)
How To Treat Cellulite
4. Clarins Body Fit Anti-Cellulite Contouring Expert ($70): Considering the French spend a great deal of time addressing aging body concerns, we’re all in when it comes to products they develop specifically for these issues. Clarins’ best-selling formula lifts as it addresses obstinate cellulite with firming quince leaf extract, and the icy tingling effect is a nice surprise on the cheeks.
5. Dr. Brandt Skincare Cellusculpt Body Shaper & Cellulite Smoothing Cream ($59): The unique thing about this smoothing cream is the five-rollerball applicator that fills up with a caffeine and green coffee extract complex at the turn of a click, to instantly massage places that are in need of attention.
6. Biologique Recherche Anti-C Slimming Treatment ($275): When you want a results-driven experience that leaves you looking more sculpted, this service includes intense exfoliation courtesy of Lotion P50 Corps. You then receive a healthy dose of anti-cellulite products that are activated with a special massager to promote circulation, making those unwanted fatty pockets less noticeable and more plumped up. 🙏
7. Perricone MD Cold Plasma Anti-Aging Body Lotion ($110): We don’t think you’re ready for this (tighter) jelly. When cottage cheese-style body patches are getting on your nerves, smooth ’em out with this non-greasy lotion. Although there’s a bit of a smell that takes some getting used to (thanks to a powerful ingredient cocktail), it goes away quickly as it absorbs into the skin, restoring texture and tone.
8. NuBODY Skin Toning Device ($399): NuBODY is the first FDA-approved, at-home, microcurrent body toning device of its kind. Which means it tackles dimples and cellulite that just won’t quit in five-minute treatments, leaving saggy crepey skin more taught. Plus it’s super simple to use. Target areas like your upper arms, thigh, butt, and abs by applying the leave-on gel primer that comes with the tool, then gliding the NuBODY over those parts in an upward motion until you hear the beep. And the best part? You don’t even have to get dressed or go anywhere to use this bad boy. Lovely.
Have beauty products you love? Share them with us over @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.