25 Maxi Dresses That Go from Day to Night
Maxi dresses have to be the best fashion invention, ever. They have an effortless look that works for pretty much every occasion, whether you’re at the beach or in a formal wedding — that’s a lot of versatility! They can also be worn all year ’round — in the fall and winter, you can rock ’em with a big, cozy sweater on top. But one of our favorite parts about the maxi dress is that you can wear it around the clock. We’ve rounded up 25 seriously stellar gowns that can work flawlessly from desk-to-dinner.
1. Oasis V-Neck Maxi Dress ($54): This sunny yellow maxi is a serious stunner. From the color to the scoop neck, this is one piece that you won’t be able to stop wearing. The cap shoulders make it perfectly appropriate to wear to work without a cardigan, and if you want to dress it up a bit for dinner, slip on a sexy pair of heels and some statement earrings.
2. Capay Colorblock Dress ($168): Okay, so this is technically a midi dress. But it’s too cute to leave out. The color blocking and flowy style make it perfect for a weekend, but with the right accessories, you could definitely wear this one out in the evening.
3. Stargazer Maxi Dress ($138): Every girl needs a black maxi. Period. We love the double layer of this one, which makes it both modest and sexy.
5. White Cut-Out Maxi Dress ($105): While this pretty white dress may not be right for your day job, it definitely works for the daytime. Faux leather shoulder straps and high slits make this number white hot.
6. Mixed Media Maxi Dress ($78): This electric blue dress makes us want to dance. The sheer overlay on the skirt is really what wins us over on this one.
7. Bisous Dress ($98): This ankle-length trapeze dress is gorgeous. It’s made of a pure silk and features a clean applique at the bust. You know what that means… no necklace necessary.
8. Abstract Flounce Dress ($28): This lightweight maxi has a floucey ruffle at the neckline and is printed with an abstract pattern that’s totally on-point for a desk-to-dinner look. Just add a blazer if you’re wearing it to the office and you’ll be looking hot all day long.
10. Scoop Back Maxi Dress ($161): The beautiful drape of this maxi paired with the graphic navy blue and white print makes for one killer combo. You could rock it effortlessly at the beach or on a hot dinner date. OR, you could wear it on your romantic dinner date and then take a long walk on the beach. Either way.
11. Silk Maxi Dress ($250): This beautiful coral hue is breathtaking on a range of skin tones. Its classic style is one that’ll last forever, and that’s something we can guarantee.
12. Embroidered Eyelet Maxi Dress ($168): We don’t know if it’s the tassels, the keyhole or the embellished bodice and hem, but this Madewell maxi screams summer. All that’s missing is an ice cream cone and a floppy hat.
14. Carabelle Maxi Dress ($895): A tie-dye halter dress may seem totally ’90s, but this hand died silk gown is completely modern. For the office, layer a lightweight sweater on top for a casual cool girl look.
15. Electric Lime Trapeze Gown ($191): Holy neon! It’s no secret that we’re a sucker for anything brightly colored here at Brit HQ, and this trapeze gown is no exception. If your vocation is one with a strict dress code, we’d recommend saving this one for the weekends. While super sexy, that high slit is definitely not for the board room.
16. Triangle Top Maxi Slip Dress ($69): This softly draped dress is one that’d be perfect for a summer wedding. It’s sophisticated while still remaining fun, and that bold shade of teal is an unexpected color this season.
17. Draped Maxi Dress ($575): While this racerback Tibi column dress errs on the casual side, you could completely dress is up for a desk-to-dinner look with the right shoes and accessories.
18. Cami Maxi Dress ($50): This navy number looks comfortable enough to sleep in, but beautiful enough to wow your date.
19. Bandeau Floral Dress ($105): While we don’t condone wearing strapless gowns to work, you can totally rock this lovely gown with a t-shirt underneath or a sophisticated cardigan on top. Once 5 o’clock rolls around, wear it as-is with a nice pop of color on the lips.
20. Flutter Sleeve Wrap Dress ($86): Short sleeved maxis are hard to come by, but this one makes up for it. We could see this as a beautiful bridesmaid dress, but it’s also a fabulous day to night option. And it comes in mint and nude (so naturally, we want both).
21. Cross Back Maxi Dress ($88): There’s something about bright red that makes us smile, which is why we’re grinning ear-to-ear about this eye-catching maxi dress.
22. Mirror Accented Maxi Dress ($300): Boho babes, rejoice. We’ve found the ultimate maxi dress, complete with bright colors, a flowy chiffon skirt and mirror accents at the neckline. Flower crown not included.
23. Graphic Maxi Dress ($188): Be the most stylish chick in the office with this chic graphic maxi. Everything about it reads powerful woman and the bold print makes it fun. This is also a really great cut to wear with heels.
24. Embroidered Silk Dress ($760): This dreamy dress has everything, from a super flowy skirt to an embroidered bodice. While it’s unquestionably bohemian, we could see it going the opposite way, too. It’s all about the styling with this effortless number.
25. Matra Maxi Dress($138): Blue and white tie-dye stripes are the star of this whimsical maxi. It’s clearly got a laid-back vibe, but if you wear the right hair and makeup, it can absolutely be worn to a cocktail party. We’re envisioning a top knot and cat eye moment.
What’s your favorite desk-to-dinner outfit? Share with us in the comments below and tweet us an outfit pic @britandco!