11 Sushi Tacos That Prove You *Never* Have to Choose Between Cuisines Again
Look, we *love* sushi. We enjoy DIY-ing sushi rolls, getting creative with canned tuna recipes, and chowing down on sushi cakes. Heck, we even love the concept of making frushi recipes (that is, fruit rolled up in rice so it looks JUST like real sushi). But you know what could possibly make sushi even better? Taco shells! That’s right — sushi tacos are definitely a thing, and Instagram has proof. The next time you and your crew can’t choose between Mexican and Japanese… Well, maybe you won’t have to.
1. Hard Shell Sushi: Sushi tacos often come with a soft seaweed “taco shell,” but these bad boys throw some crunch into the mix. They’re encased in a hard shell that we imagine must be made from rice or flour. The tacos themselves are garnished with fish, rice, radishes, and fresh herbs.
2. Ceviche Tacos: These tacos, made with tuna, salmon, and white fish, respectively, emulate the flavors of traditional Peruvian ceviche. They’re pulled together in a puffed rice taco shell and topped with onion, lime, and other fix-ins.
3. Soft Shell: Now, this creation may taste a little more like the sushi you’re used to. It’s held together by a “shell” made of seaweed, and it’s bursting with white rice, seaweed salad, fish, and sesame seeds.
4. Crispy Shrimp Taco: If you’re craving something crispy and fried, the guy on the left is DEFINITELY your best bet. While you can definitely opt for raw tuna, a fried shrimp tuna taco is something really special.
5. All The Sushi: Sushi tacos are a fantastic meal all on their own, but they can also be an ideal accompaniment for, you know, *actual* sushi. Check out the myriad options on display here, from crispy onion-topped rolls to mango-infused crab sushi.
6. Sushi, Unrolled: Take a good look at these tacos, because this is a glimpse into all the flavorful goodness that’s hiding in your sushi tacos. We spot whitefish, soy sauce, white rice, seaweed radishes, green onions, and carrots.
7. Meet In The Middle: This taco truly is a fusion food. Though it’s made with raw fish and rice, it’s stuffed inside a a traditional taco shell and topped with jalapeños. Talk about the best of both worlds.
8. Vegan Sushi Tacos: Just as there are plenty of options for vegans at traditional sushi restaurants, it’s easy to find plant-based sushi tacos as well. Case in point: This bite-sized snack made with rice, seaweed, avocado, peppers, and cucumbers.
9. Healthy and Fresh: When you think about it the concept of sushi tacos is actually REALLY healthy. Take these treats, for example: They’re made with healthy fish and topped with bean sprouts, all while incorporating fresh spinach and avocado.
10. Taco Tapas: These tiny tacos are the perfect appetizer or passable dish. And as adorable as they are, we guarantee they’d be a major crowd pleaser at any kind of party or gathering.
11. Norigami: Norigami, an LA-based pop-up, is credited with being the original creator of the sushi nori taco. (Nori is Japanese for seaweed, FYI.) These are just two of their most popular sushi taco creations.
Follow us on Pinterest for more creative food ideas and inspo!