Sometimes, even the Internet doesn’t have everything you’re looking for. When you get stuck, there’s one thing that can ail that feeling of being lost online: a hilarious, beautiful, or cleverly copywritten 404 page. Here are 30 of our faves from sites we visit on a weekly basis.
To get to most of these 404 pages, you can type the url and add /404 at the end. If that doesn’t work, you can always use /fdsdfhfhdjf. And if you’re looking for even more cool 404 pages, check out 404 Not Found for a collection of good ones from more obscure websites.
1. Mint: Cookies, bottle caps, old shoes, and a Cheeto? We’re sold.
2. Huffington Post: Huffpo rotates between Dawson and Obama. Winning.
3. Path: A blurry Jean Luc Picard meets Path’s iconic sad face. Subtle perfection.
4. Urban: Could this be more Urban Outfitters? Bummer duuuude.
5. Anthropologie: Of course Urban’s older more sophisticated sister chooses Fiddlesticks over BUMMER.
6. Hootsuite: Adore this missing owl on a milk carton. And love the call out to 404 seekers.
7. Swiss-Miss: No surprise that Swiss Miss (aka Tina Roth Eisenberg) has a super clever page.
8. Minted: A misprint! Nothing like a little topical humor.
9. Tastespotting: This image of a cracked egg definitely gives fellow foodies a chuckle.
10. Hasbro: Yes we visit the Hasbro site on a weekly basis, and yes we love Mr. Potato Head.
11. Lego: Speaking of iconic toys from our youth… :)
12. Google: We love when Google gives us a little doodle!
13. ThinkGeek: Nerd copy alert.
14. Bless This Stuff: Creepy clown alert. Eeek.
15. Fab: This one is just a nice rich image, and suggests you head to Twitter and Facebook.
16. Kickstarter: We like when sites talk to you and make you feel… safe.
17. Technabob: Whoa.
18. Lululemon: This one gives you an inspirational quote and a suggested “404asana.”
19. Techcrunch: Caught with their pants down! Perfect.
20. Weduary: A ring box with a 404 instead of ring? So sad!
21. College Humor: This page doesn’t exist, and neither do wizards, unicorns, leprechauns and dragons. Wait, what?
23. NY Daily News: Love this classic newspaper-style cartoon.
24. Klout: When in doubt, puppies are always a good call.
25. Spotwag: Which brings us to Spotwag! Pug not found.
26. Threadflip: Only people in the fashion world can call strangers “darling” and get away with it.
27. Kayak: We think this one’s a little too mean to the site’s programmers. :(
28. Digg: Crisis!
29. StumbleUpon: You can never go wrong with cats, especially ones reading documents.
30. Homestar Runner: Finally, an oldie but a goodie. Did you forget about Homestar? This is a full on animation discussing the 404.
We’ll keep adding new 404 pages to our dedicated pinboard so be sure to leave us a link to any we might be missing in the comments below. And stay tuned for a brand new 404 page for Brit + Co. in the coming weeks. There may be cats, the Fresh Prince, Lisa Frank-style unicorns, and so much more.