5 Must-DL Apps This Week: A New Streaming Service + More!
Every week our app roundups want to help you make a little slice of your life better, more beautiful and/or easier to describe in GIF form. This Saturday is no different, with an app that wants to show you videos of Chris Hemsworth, one that wants to color your life in all the Pantone-a-riffic flavors of the world, another that will snap selfies for you in a whole new way and a couple others we think you’ll dig. There’s even a calendar app in there that could be The One you’ve been looking for all this time. Keep reading and start downloading!
1. The Daily Cut: Coming at you from Time Inc, this app wants to buddy up with your other favorite streamers by offering up video content from all of its properties (TIME, Sports Illustrated, EW, People, InStyle, Food & Wine and others) in one place. BRB gotta find out what Chris Hemsworth DID say when he found out he was the sexiest man alive. My guess? “Duhhhhh — but actually, have you guys met my brother Liam? Also very sexy, especially in Hunger Games.”
DL It: Free on iOS (also works on Roku and web!)
2. Colors: You know what’s better than 24 filters? 1,000 filters. (Please tell me you read that in The Social Network JT voice, thank you.) This app’s got ‘em and is ready to transform your pics into a rainbow-fied work of art. Pantone, anytime you want to follow up with your own app, we’re down to DL.
DL It: $.99 on iOS
3. Shifts: Calendars are awesome and all (we’re fans) but the ones on your mobile device likely factor in your work week as a 9 to 5, M through F gig. Great for those of us who work like that, not so great if you have multiple jobs, work morning, night or weekend shifts or are in school. This calendar changes ALL of that by letting you plot out your day or week with *your* schedule.
DL It: $1.99 on sale on iOS
4. Camu: We’ve told you about Camu before, but [insert celebratory horn noises!] the top selfie improver is now available for Android as well. Named one of the App Store’s best of 2014, this simplifies the filter game — if you’re not in need of 1,000 like above — and lets you add adjustments to your photos before or after you take them. The super-focus feature gives your photos a depth you can’t get on your phone normally and the selfie shutter will automatically snap pics when you stop moving.
5. Copyfeed: Copyfeed. Where have you been all my life? At both my past and present jobs I have used my morning commutes to troll Twitter and various news apps for what’s up in the world, copying and pasting what IS up into Notes or Evernote. Copyfeed manages everything on your iPhone’s clipboard so you can access it in the app or in the Notification Center. Simple but a little lifesaver.
DL It: Free on iOS
What was your favorite app of recent download? Share below!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.