Wedding Cake Trends You’ll See Everywhere in 2018
We can all agree that choosing a wedding cake is easily the most delicious and fun part of wedding planning. But with so many different options to choose from, it can definitely be overwhelming (what part of wedding planning isn’t, really?). As important as it is for the cake to taste good, you also want it to look good. We’re here to help source some inspiration for the most gorgeous (and tasty) cake possible. Grab a fork and let’s dig into the seven cake trends you’ll be seeing everywhere in 2018!
1. Unexpected Color Combos: Expect the unexpected in 2018. Cakes with more vibrant, daring, and moody color schemes will be all the rage. To soften up the bold look, incorporate a swirled texture. (via A Spoonful of Sugar Cakes / Clara Rice Photography)
2. Marble Cakes: Marble is popping up everywhere in homes, paper goods, and accessories, so it’s only natural to see it becoming more popular in weddings. This look is perfect for the modern minimalist couple. (via A Spoonful of Sugar Cakes / Chelsea Dier Photography)
3. Textured Cakes: As couples become more creative and unique with their wedding designs, the traditional cake just doesn’t cut it anymore. Elise McLean of Up Country Creations suggests using toasted meringue and icing drips to create a more whimsical, romantic feel for a simple white cake. (via Up Country Creations / Absolutely Loved Photography)
4. Hand-Sketched Designs: These days, it’s all about the personalized, hand-drawn touches each couple incorporates into their big day, and we expect to see a lot of this in cake design. Jennifer Cella Williams of Beverly’s Bakery says, “The best part about this trend is that every creation is totally unique, so no two drawings will ever be the same.” (via Beverly’s Bakery / Brandon Kidd Photography)
5. Bold Colors and Geometric Shapes: Geometric shapes are definitely having a moment when it comes to weddings, and this trend isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Couples will continue to incorporate this motif throughout their decor, especially to create that eye-catching cake. And using a vibrant color scheme makes a bold statement even bolder. (via Beverly’s Bakery / Davello Photography)
6. Almost Mauve: Let’s face it; a soft and pretty color scheme will never go out of style. Jennifer Williams of Beverly Bakery says their “favorite shade from the Pantone 2018 Spring Color lineup is Almost Mauve. We are showing this to couples as a fresh alternative to blush, and they are loving it.” (via Beverly’s Bakery / Birds of a Feather Photography)
7. Tropical Cakes: While destination weddings are on the rise, not all of us can rationalize a tropical wedding escape. However, we think couples will bring Hawaii to their weddings through tropical-inspired decor. This vibrant, watercolor cake gives all of the destination wedding vibes, minus the price tag. (via Beverly’s Bakery / Lin & Jirsa)
Which of these cakes trends is your favorite? Let us know @BritandCo!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)