8 Reasons Why Having a Sister Is the Best
As you’ve grown older, you’ve probably accumulated some pretty awesome people in your life — from college besties to fellow moms to a beloved spouse, your squad might nearly be complete. But no matter who has come into/out of your life, nobody has been there for you like your sister. After all, if she loved you when you were in your awkward phase(s), she’s probably in it with you for the long haul. Read on for eight things that make your relationship with your sister totally unique.
1. You can have conversations with just your facial expressions. In the early stages of your relationship with your bestie, you still had to use the not-so-subtle “hot guy at five o’clock” whisper. But with your sis, all it takes is a quick wink to know exactly what she’s thinking and about whom. Talk about the ultimate wingwoman!
2. They understand all your family stuff. Families can be totally complicated. And while your friends will surely lend an ear or shoulder to cry on, nobody quite understands the nuances of your family dynamics than someone who shares your last name.
3. They’ve met your weird exes. Remember when your high school boyfriend dumped you right before homecoming? Your sister does too. Remember that jerk who stood you up on Valentine’s Day? Your sister does too. Through every weirdo, heartbreak, and great first date, your sister has been there.
4.They’ve been on all yourfamily vacations. As evidenced by college spring break, nothing bonds people quite like taking a trip together. Maybe your family always, always, always goes to the same cottage for Christmas, or perhaps you tried something new every year. Either way, sharing those travel memories with your sister gives you a shared nostalgia for the same places that bonds you long after you’ve left them.
5.They loved you in your awkward phase. The braces. The strangely colored hair. The questionable fashion choices. No matter what your teenage self looked like, your sister loved you anyway (probably because she was going through it right alongside you!).
6. You probably own half of each other’s wardrobe. Ah, the age-old clothes argument. While you probably pulled each other’s hair out over stealing clothes in high school, it might be, maybe, just a little bit comforting to wear your sister’s college t-shirt when you’re missing her.
7. They made you the cool aunt. If your sister has kids, that automatically makes you the cool aunt. And if you’re the cool aunt, that automatically makes you, well, cool!
8.You had “promise you won’t tell Mom” secrets. Anybody with sisters knows there is no promise more sacred than the promise-not-to-tell-your-mother promise. Even if you have a Gilmore-esque relationship with your mom, having your sister as a confidante while growing up means you have a confidante for life.
What do you love most about your relationship with your sister? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photo via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)