Why Beauty Essences Need to Be a Part of Your Daily Routine
Like many recent skincare trends (and product obsessions), beauty essences got their start in Korea and have been a big buzzword in the beauty world for years now. But what exactly is an essence? Technically clear liquids that act as lightweight serums, essences are an often forgotten but incredibly beneficial add-on step in a traditional skincare regimen. They also serve different purposes, depending on their ingredients.
According to New York City-based dermatologist Ellen Marmur, “Essences have traditionally been thinner than serums and more popular in Asia where 10-20 step skincare routines are common. And since they contain concentrated active ingredients, they have amazing hydration effects on the skin, especially in drier months.” If there’s anything we all need after these never-ending winter months, it’s more moisture. And thanks to the hyaluronic acid and glycerin found in many essences, that’s exactly what they deliver.
Applying an essence usually happens around the toner/treatment time — after you’ve cleansed your skin — in order to add another layer of hydration. Your final product (typically moisturizer) seals in the essence so you double up on the penetration benefits. Basically, they’re the secret powerhouse product you never knew you were missing but clearly need in your life. Get ready to get your glow on this spring with these five must-buys.
1. Dior Hydra Life Deep Hydration Sorbet Water Essence ($73): Dior’s three-in-one moisturizes, refines, and tones in a single sweep while giving you a gentle exfoliation peel from the natural fruit acids found in the milky blue formula. And let’s be real: The bottle will look pretty AF on your vanity.
2. Laneige Water Bank Essence ($36): This silky essence is made from hydro ionized mineral water, which is a fancy way of saying it packs a powerful beauty punch via zinc, magnesium, manganese, potassium, calcium, and sodium. It’s also the perfect under-three-fluid-ounces size to take on a plane with you. Pro tip: Press your palms into your face after you spray so the product absorbs into the skin better.
3. SK-II Facial Treatment Essence ($179): SK-II’s signature product is a best-seller (for over 35 years now!) for its cell renewal powers. Its main ingredient, Pitera, contains over 50 micronutrients like vitamins, amino acids, minerals, and organic acids to make dark spots less visible, reduce the look of unwanted wrinkles, improve your skin’s texture and firmness, and clean your whole apartment for you. Okay, maybe not the last one, but it *almost* does everything you could possibly wish for.
4. Shiseido Eudermine Revitalizing Essence ($57): Eudermine translates to “good skin” and is one of Shiseido’s oldest (and most popular) products, dating back to its launch in 1897. After cleansing, apply it in sweeping motions and wait for the softness to set in, regardless of what type of climate you’re in or what time of year it is. Another bonus? It smells like rain-washed peonies.
5. Japanfusion Hydra Prep Lotion Step 1 ($35): Before you reach for your go-to moisturizer in the a.m., make sure you’re setting it up for success with a power-magnet prep product. Japanfusion’s high-tech tonic has antioxidant Jabara citrus and grape extracts (along with de-stressing Pombo yeast) to soothe, balance, and hydrate, as well as protect your delicate visage from pollution and other environmental factors.
Follow us on Pinterest for more beauty inspo and info.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)