10 Quotes to Keep You Feeling Lucky on St. Patrick’s Day (or Any Day)
There’s obviously no substitute for focus, ambition, and a #bosslady attitude, but we’re not quite ready to give up entirely on the idea of good luck. After all, whether we’re trying to land a well-deserved promotion or a lasting relationship, we need all the help we can get — and we’re not above a little superstition! Inspired by St. Patrick’s Day, we’ve collected 10 quotes about luck (and not just o’ the Irish) to keep you in good fortune all year round. Keep scrolling for more!
1. “I feel that luck is preparation meeting opportunity.” If there’s anyone we’re taking advice from, it’s obviously got to be the Oprah Winfrey — and if she tells us that the best way to make our own luck is to be ready to seize an opportunity when it comes around, consider us ready. Luck can happen, but in order to make the most of it, a lot of hard work and focus needs to happen ahead of time.
2. “Luck affects everything. Let your hook always be cast; in the stream where you least expect it, there will be a fish.” You never know when your next big break is about to happen, so whether you’re feeling like you need a little extra help from fate at work or in love, keep your eyes open for signs that your luck is about to change! Even when a shift in tides seems unlikely, be prepared for wonderful things to happen.
3. “I have a lucky perfume. I love beautiful smells, but I save one of my favorite perfumes to wear only when I feel like I need some extra luck.” Superstition comes in many forms. If you do believe in luck and want a little extra on your side, there’s no better time to whip out your favorite fragrance… or accessory, or pair of shoes. Call it luck or call it confidence — either way, it’s an excuse to wear something that makes you feel like a rock star. With any luck (pun intended!), good things will follow in your beautifully scented wake.
4. “Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure.” While we can all agree that hard work usually trumps luck, it doesn’t hurt to be in the right place at the right time — which means that there are plenty of people out there who hustled in pursuit of their dreams and somehow ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Don’t take for granted that there’s a little sprinkle of good luck (or at least coincidence) to thank for every success. It will keep you empathetic to those who are still waiting for their hard work to pay off.
5. “Good luck needs no explanation.” Sometimes, it’s better not to ask questions. If you’ve stumbled into what feels like a little stroke of good luck, accept it, and move on. There’s no need to second guess it!
6. “When it comes to luck, you make your own.” You don’t become The Boss by sitting around and waiting for good opportunities to come your way — you go out and find them! We’ll definitely take a page out of Springsteen’s hit-making book and stay proactive, but that doesn’t mean we’re willing to admit that a little positive luck won’t swoop in at the end and give us the final push toward success.
7. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck is something else: hard work — and realizing what is opportunity and what isn’t.” We love what the great Lucille Ball had to say about opportunity. Every single one isn’t necessarily worth your time! Figuring out what endeavors are going to lead to success and happiness is a big part of creating your own good fortune. Don’t invest time or resources in so-called “opportunities” that will only frustrate or disappoint you.
8. “Luck is believing you’re lucky.” Believing in your own good luck sounds to us a lot like just having confidence, and no matter how you look at it, that sounds like a winning strategy.
9. “In the long run, you make your own luck — good, bad, or indifferent.” Your attitude about a situation will probably play a pretty major role in its resolution, so before you channel your positivity, negativity, or apathy (not that!) into a decision or relationship, make sure you consider how those vibes will play out in the long game. Even if you’re a big believer in luck, you still have a say in your own destiny.
10. “No matter what your laundry list of requirements in choosing a mate, there has to be an element of good luck and good fortune and good timing.” You may be working in overdrive to attract the perfect potential S.O. on every dating app out there, but you have to trust fate at least a little to lead you to the right person at the right time. The element of luck makes the whole finding-true-love thing even more fun, right?
Do you believe in luck? Tweet us @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Getty)