12 Must-Read YA Books Out in October
October is the month for creative DIY costumes, cheeky pumpkin-filled cheat days and, yes, lovely autumn weekends filled with tea, cozy throws and good reads. This month we’re satisfying our young adult addiction with these awesome new titles. Enjoy!
1. Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven ($11): After the blockbuster hit that was All the Bright Places, author Jennifer Niven is back with a love story that’s breaking down barriers and finding a true authentic voice amongst the cluttered high school genre. It’s definitely a must-read for fall.
2. Children of Eden by Joey Graceffa ($11): You may know him as the bubbly YouTube vlogger who’s obsessed with his two huskies, but now Joey Graceffa is a fab young adult novelist too. His debut novel is a science fiction about a young stowaway who risks everything to see a world she’s not allowed to. Consider us intrigued.
3. Rejected Princesses: Tales of History’s Boldest Heroines, Hellions and Heretics by Jason Porath ($16): Based on the popular Tumblr blog, this awesome collection of kickass women will definitely make you smile. From real life heroes to killer women in mythology and folklore, it’s a great read for when the patriarchy’s got you down.
4. The ABC’s of LGBT+: Understanding and Embracing Your Identity by Ashley Mardell ($13): Understanding the complexities of language, subcultures and stereotypes in LGBT+ culture can be tricky… and no one wants to be the person who gets it wrong. In this new book from YouTube superstar Ashley Mardell, you’ll find in-depth definitions, helpful infographics and personal anecdotes to help teens and adults navigate LGBT+ identities.
5. When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore ($11): A beautiful teenage love story with twists of magic at every turn, Anna-Marie McLemore’s newest novel will surely inspire some fall wonder.
6. Something in Between by Melissa de la Cruz ($12): Jasmine de los Santos has studied hard for her full college scholarship and she’s excited to start school ASAP. But when she suddenly learns that her Filipino immigrant parents are actually in the country illegally, her plans are thrown out the window… and she might lose more than just her scholarship.
7. Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King ($13): A beautifully written tale that screams with authenticity, this iconic story about how sixteen-year-old Sarah comes to grips with her parents’ divorce after years of lies and domestic abuse is definitely on our Goodreads list.
8. At the Edge of the World by Kari Jones ($13): A book about true friendship in the wake of life’s many hardships, Kari Jones’s latest novel will bring you to the edge of your seat (okay, bed) over and over again.
9. Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst ($11): This isn’t your typical princess story. Although Princess Dennaleia has been betrothed since birth, a new mission takes her on an exciting journey with a new friend… or at least she thought they were just friends.
10. Color Blind by Sheila Sobel ($18): When April tragically loses her mother and father, she is forced to move with her Aunt in Louisiana. Tying the complex string between the past and the present beautifully, Sheila Sobel’s newest undertaking definitely justifies our massive Amazon order.
11. Ashes by Laurie Halse Anderson ($11): This is the third installment of the Seeds of America trilogy, and the exciting conclusion to this authentic American Revolution tale will definitely satisfy any diehard fan.
12. This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills ($11): Spoiler alert: This awesome new novel will have you calling (NOT texting) your bestie after just the first few pages. Shocked that she actually found a group of friends when she moves from New York to Florida, Sloane quickly learns about the complexities and sheer amazing-ness that is finding your true best friends.
What are you reading this month? Tweet us by mentioning @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.