5 Knope-Approved Reasons Why Galentine’s Day Is the Best Holiday EVER
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and if you’re cozily coupled, then you’re probably planning to woo your boo with a super special dinner or a spicy date night out on the town. If you’re single and solo, however, chances are you’ll be navigating through a mess of heart-shaped See’s candy boxes and red roses galore. But have no fear, single ladies! Galentine’s Day comes first, and all the chica’s (single and taken) agree that celebrating lady friendship is just *as* important as romantic love. What is Galentine’s Day? Simply put, G-Day was invented by Parks and Recreation’s Leslie Knope (AKA Amy Poehler) and is all about taking time out for your ladies — to honor your best girlfriends and treat yo’ selves. Since its inception in 2010, girls have been enjoying their very own annual queen-preciation day every February 13. First, because friendship. And second, because “ovaries before brovaries.”
Since the very first Galentine’s Day, the rules have always been pretty straightforward: Eat waffles, exchange gifts (although a 5,000-word essay seems excessive) and prospect your new best friend by ranking every Galentine’s brunch attendant as you go. Or you could take the less intense (un-Knope-like) route. According to Knope, Galentine’s Day is really about “…a women’s-only marathon bonding session with tons of whipped cream.” Since we adore lady days, especially when juicy gossip and sweets are involved, we’ve rounded up five reasons why Galentine’s Day is a must-celebrate this year.
1. It’s only the best day of the year. While Valentine’s Day was originally celebrated as a Roman fertility party, modern V-Day can feel a little too Hallmark-ed out. Galentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to do something a little different with your fave females and show how much you appreciate them for just *getting* you. Galentine’s Day wins and is the best day of the year. Period.
2. Lady time, all the time. You need no excuses today to do all your fave activities with your best BBs. Galentine’s Day means treating yourself and your gals like the queens you are. Plan a spa day with your besties and then enjoy a rosé-filled eve packed with Galentine’s DIYs, silly stories and chick flicks galore. The best part about G-Day is it requires no explanation: wine time. Fun time. Lady love time.
3. It’s not Lilith Fair. Galentine’s Day is no pity party. It’s about celebrating being a woman and being surrounded by excellent women-friends. So swap the sleepy-sad Sarah McLachlan tunes for some celebratory jams. We’re thinking some throwback Missy Elliott and TLC will get the job done. Have a dance party. Start a pillow fight. Make a music video. It’s not like we need an excuse to party, but it never hurts.
4. Because bestie love is awesome and everlasting. We all want the Ann to our Leslie, but honestly, true friendship is hard to find. Once you find that special someone (or maybe a whole squad), it’s important to never take that bond for granted and nurture it with your whole being. This means always lending an ear when your girl just needs to bitch about that one guy or a shoulder when she needs to cry it all out. Galentine’s Day is a celebration of all things female and friendship and we LOVE it.
5. Because there’s a code. First rule of Galentine’s Day: Don’t talk about Galentine’s Day. JK. But seriously, codes are the best and the Galentine’s Day code is totally winning: “Hoes before bros. Uteruses before duderuses. Ovaries before brovaries.” Yasssss.
So ditch your beau this February 13 and plan a BFF brunch, go for a hike, spa it up or volunteer somewhere — just maybe don’t spend time ranking your buds like Leslie Knope, because let’s face it: Nobody likes judgy friends, especially on Galentine’s Day.
(Photos via Getty)