6 Ways to Support A Day Without Women If You Can’t Strike
Back in January, we were inspired by women the world over who came together for a cause when they marched for women’s rights. Today, we’re uniting in the name of women everywhere once more on International Women’s Day for another joint movement: A Day Without Women.
Aiming to show society what the world would be like without women in it and ultimately, their value, women’s march organizers have encouraged women to take the day off, avoid shopping, or wear red as a show of solidarity. But there’s still plenty of other ways you can join in: Read on to find out how!
1. Hit up an International Women’s Day event post-work. From speaking events to fundraising dinners, there are events happening all over the country today meant to better women’s lives: All you have to do is head over to the International Women’s Day website to see what’s available near you and show up!
2.Support women-centric businesses. Whether you choose to dine out at a restaurant run by a totally boss babe or hit up a female stand-up comic’s show, make whatever it is you do today an ode to our gender by putting your hard-earned dollars in the pockets of ladies pursuing both personal and professional endeavors.
3. Make your voice heard on issues that matter to you most. Take some time out from your day to write your legislator about the things affecting you most as a woman in your day-to-day life, whether it’s how to ensure your child is receiving the best education or how you can continue to afford health care if funding should fall through due to legislative changes. You don’t even have to do all the work: There’s an app called MyLetter that will practically write your letter for you!
4. Donate to organizations that work to support women. Make like Urban Decay, who is shelling out 100 percent of the proceeds for its new eyeshadow primer shade to women’s groups, and give what you can to sites such as the National Organization for Women and Step Up Women’s Network: There’s a whole slew to choose from!
5. Get involved with the Women’s Chamber of Congress. Vested in strengthening the economy by helping women reach their business and career goals, you can join for free to start receiving updates on everything from its events to progress being made, with other tiers of more membership available for $35-395.
6. Run for office. Ever heard the saying, “If you don’t like something, do it yourself?” Well, why shouldn’t it apply to politics, as well? Make like Myya D. Jones, the 22-year-old running for Mayor of Detroit, and throw your hat in the ring. No training? No problem! Organizations such as EMILY’s List will arm you with all the tools you need to embark on a career in politics. What are you waiting for?
How are you planning to participate? Share with us @BritandCo.
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)