9 Practical Gifts That They’ll Actually Use
We’re big advocates of giving sensible gifts. It’s why we often shop in the home section for the holidays: Stuff that’s as useful as it is charming hits that happy medium every gift giver strives for. Plus, the recipient will totally think of you every time they use it! If you think about it, you’re giving the gift of making a house feel like a home :)
With this in mind, we’re pairing up with JCPenney to kickstart your holiday shopping list. JCPenney is the epitome of a one-stop shop: With a seemingly endless range of products and trending brands, we find there’s *always* something for everyone (and then some). Check out these useful goods for your favorite people… and maybe scoop up a gift for yourself, while you’re at it. It’s time to practice pragmatism with these nine practical presents.
1. Crosley Cruiser Deluxe Portable Turntable: Confession: This turntable has been on this particular author’s wish list for three years now. Marrying old-school charm with new-age technology, the Crosley turntable is a surefire gift win, and its recent upgrade makes it even more desirable. This portable record player syncs with the user’s smartphone via Bluetooth, so your giftee can stream digital music after the record ends.
2. Cooks Ceramic Kettle: Three cheers for kitchen products with personality! This delightful electric kettle — exclusively at JCPenney — would look mighty fine on your pal’s kitchen counter. (Picture it next to a stack of vintage teacups on an open shelving unit… W.O.W.) Bonus points for its plastic-free ceramic base, quick heating function, and adorable gold polka dots.
3. You Look Good Hand Tufted Doormat: For the friend who’s sass-tastic and not afraid to show it, this is the doormat they never knew they needed. Introducing the new out-the-door checklist: phone, keys, wallet, compliment.
4. iLive Voice Activated Assistant Speaker Powered by Amazon Alexa: It’s got the power of Amazon Alexa and the polish of a well-dressed young man. This speaker can pair with up to six other speakers to enhance your home audio experience. Plus, its Bluetooth capabilities and rechargeable battery mean you can use it on the go. Gift this to the friend who always has tasteful tech on display and they’ll love you forever.
5. Home Expressions Sequined Mermaid Throw Pillow: This pillow is addictive. Let us explain: This sequined mermaid pillow is covered with dual-colored sequins, so as you graze your hand over the surface, the color will change. Scoop up this magical textile for your friend who tends to fidget — she’ll have a new outlet for *all* of her creative energy.
6. Dog Selfie by Lucia Heffernan Canvas Print: Okay, we’re not saying this is the perfect gift for just any friend, but this gem will surely put a smile on a special someone’s face. I mean, it combines two of every millennial’s favorite things — endlessly scrolling on our phones while horizontal, and big fluffy puppies. What’s not to like?
7. Home Expressions™ Hello Gorgeous Decorative Pillow: Don’t you love how compliments come in all shapes and sizes these days? Sometimes you gotta say it with a comfy, hot pink pillow.
8. Madison Park Zuri Faux Fur Backrest: For the “I’d rather binge-watch TV than go out” friend (AKA all of us), stick a bright red bow on this faux fur backrest. It will make their in-home theater (ahem, bedroom) that much more cushy and cozy.
9. Wall Mirror: Functional decor for the win. Complete with bath towel hooks, these his and hers mirrors will add character to that newly shacked-up couples’ bathroom. Little items like this will make the move-in feel like the real deal.
10. Cambridge Tumbler Glass: Because nothing says “I’m living my best life” like drinking a Moscow Mule out of a pineapple-shaped cup with a straw. Help your friends feel *extra* with this very important cocktail container. This item is currently out of stock online, but you can visit your local JCPenney to pick one up.
What home products are at the top of your holiday wishlist this year? Share with us on Twitter by tagging @BritandCo and #SoWorthIt!
Design: Torii Burnett
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)