8 Active Alternatives to Running Just Another Race
The sunshine is out and the warmer weather seems to make outdoor workouts a bit easier to swallow. While following a jump-rope YouTube workout or checking out a new rock climbing gym in your neighborhood are great ways to keep your muscles guessing, over time, you may need some wilder ideas to shake things up and keep yourself freshly motivated. That’s when a crazy creative race or sport might be just what you need to change up your cardio routine. Try one of these nine alternatives to a traditional 5k, half- or full marathon, and stay outdoor active all summer long.
1. Run a beer mile: When the twist of a race is incorporating cold beer into the mix, we’re in. BeerFit offers runners a more classic 5k option, but the more fun, cooler cousin is the Beer Mile — which has you sipping down a beer before and after you run the one-mile course. (Photo via BeerFit)
2. Try your hand at disc golf: Even if you’re not quite ready to join the professional disc golf circuit, there are still plenty of tournaments across the country you can take part in this summer. And with only eight percent of PDGA members being female, we’re ready to see some more ladies out on the course. (Photo via Getty)
3. Test your navigation skills: Orienteering is a sport that was originally used as a military training program, but has evolved to now be included in the World Games. Grab a map and compass, and test your directional chops as you race to navigate through a controlled wilderness area. (Photo via Getty)
4. Get down and dirty: Sure, you’re still going to have to log some miles if you take on a Tough Mudder, but this obstacle course is nothing like a normal road race. There are no podiums, no winners and no clocks. Here, it’s all about mental toughness and pushing yourself to your limits and beyond. (Photo via Tough Mudder)
5. Go for a hike: The National Parks Service celebrates its centennial birthday this year, and what better way to honor the nature right outside our backdoors than by grabbing a group of girls and spending a few hours hiking the trails? (Photo via Getty)
6. Scavenger hunt your own city: Grab your boo or your bestie; you’re going to need them for this urban scavenger hunt on steroids. In teams of two or more, you’ll attempt to solve the 12 clues that will take you throughout your city for a chance to win cash from Challenge Nation. Working our minds and our bodies? Yes, please. (Photo via Challenge Nation)
7. Go geocaching: Feeling a little adventurous? Grab a friend or head out solo to try your hand at a more far-flung scavenger hunt off the beaten path. Simply download the geocaching app and start searching and finding thousands of geocache packages in your area and beyond. (Photo via Getty)
8. Practice stand-up paddle boarding: If you’re lucky enough to live near a lake, ocean or really any other body of water, find the time to get out there and try stand-up paddle boarding. You can check out this ultimate guide on what to buy, then learn basics and even search for a local group in your area to get out on the water. (Photo via Getty)
Tweet us what fun and physical activities you’re rocking this summer @BritandCo!
Still haven't taken up that new creative skills you swore you'd learn this year? Or ready to take your design skills to the next level? Let's say so long to the weirdest year ever by checking those big learn-something-new goals off our perpetual to-do lists.
We've teamed up with Clorox to give you the gift of unlimited creativity now through the end of the year. Once you sign up, you can take as many of our 120+ classes as you want for FREE for one whole month!
Here's how it works:
- Head to brit.co/learn and sign up for the "All Access Pass."
- Use the code "CLOROXCARES" at checkout to redeem your free month of classes.
- You will be automagically signed up for Clorox's email list once you redeem your free all access pass. (It's the #1 Choice for Disinfection!)
- Your pass lasts one month from when you checkout. This means you have unlimited access to all the classes during that month.
This offer is valid now through December 27, 2020.
Browse our catalog to find the right class for you, tell a friend and take the class together over Zoom, or organize a 'cocktails + crafts' night with a friend in your bubble so you can learn something new together.
What are you waiting for? Time to start learning all the things!
Thanks to Clorox for making this happen! When it counts, trust Clorox.