The 10 Makeup Essentials for Halloween (+ Beyond!)
Halloween is around the corner, and whether you are still undecided on what you are going to be this year (psst: just pull from your closet) or you have a more elaborate costume in mind, we all know that the makeup makes the look. So to help you get a seriously spooky makeover, here is a list of of the top 10 makeup products you can use to create literally hundreds of Halloween-worthy looks. From the stuff beauty pros like me can’t live without (even after the 31st) to bold palettes you’ll pull out every time you play dress up, these products have been *my* go-tos for all of our Halloween makeup tutorials here at Brit HQ. So trust us — these party-proof picks are worth every penny!
1. Ben Nye Creme Colors ($6): These little pods pack a lot of punch and pigment into a small container… and all for a small price. At six dollars a pop, you can grab a few to play around with while feeling confident in the quality — these pods have been around since 1967 and are a fave of Hollywood makeup artists, and it’s easy to see why: they provide complete coverage, like here on our gorgeous ghost look.
2. Ben Nye Natural Set Colorless Face Powder ($28): This happens to be the setting powder that is recommended to pair with the Ben Nye Color Creme Pods — use it so that ghoulish makeup won’t smudge — yet it’s good enough to use on the daily as well. The translucency makes this product universal — it can be used on any skin tone.
3. Pop Sugar Pallette ($33): This particular palette has such a huge range of colors, and the pigment is nothing short of photo-ready quality. Check out our mermaid makeup tutorial that features my favorites from this palette: the dusty purples.
4. Urban Decay Naked Palette ($54): This is an ABSOLUTE must-have, and not just for Halloween!!! Personally, I use this everyday and in almost every tutorial here at Brit + Co. The array of neutral colors in this palette is amazing for the natural gal, but also for achieving contouring like here in this modern vampire tutorial, and for special effects when laid over a bolder creme makeup, like those Ben Nye pods.
5. Urban Decay Electric Palette ($49): Quickly becoming a favorite, Urban Decay never delivers a product lacking in pigment or quality. These neon hues are stunning applied on their own, but become badass when layered with a neutral shade to create bold looks like the popping red eyelids on this creepy clown look. Pro tip: You can totally use the pink, orange and purple shades as blush, too!
6. Billion Dollar Brow Pencil ($15): I mean, we literally did an entire post featuring this magical product! I still don’t understand how it legitimately works on every girl. That being said, it is obviously a go-to for any and every Halloween look, whether you use it to define your brows over a colorful face paint like in this wicked witch tutorial or if you use it as a base and layer a bright shadow over it.
7. NYX Mechanical Eye Pencil White ($5): Really, white eyeliner is an essential product for anytime you need to brighten your eyes, but especially for this time of year. You can use it to highlight, enlarge (like for this kinda creepy/kinda pretty doll look) or even sketch out a shape as a stencil on your face that you need to fill in with a darker color after. This particular brand is inexpensive and totally rocks!
8. NYX Gel Liner + Smudger Black ($11): Gel eyeliners can tend to vary in price quite a bit. After trying several brands, I came to the conclusion that this one stands up to the best of the best and won’t hurt your bank account. You can use this on your face, eyes and even on your lips as we did here in our cat makeup tutorial.
9. Hoola By Benefit ($39): The beauty of this bronzer is its versatility. You can use it as eyeshadow, to contour or even use it as face powder if your skin is darker. The matte finish allows you to get the dimension you need in many cases without the glittery sheen that most bronzers have. Needless to say, it was a must in our woodland fairy tutorial.
10. Benefit High Beam Highlighter ($39): This is another major go-to in the beauty world here at Brit + Co. This highlighter reflects light in the most luminous, beautiful way — another must for our fairy look. They also have different shades for different skin tones, like Sun Beam + Moon Beam, which both offer the same flawless glow.
What are your favorite Halloween makeup products? Do you use them year round or buy them just for the big night? Tell us in the comments below.