9 Ideas for Bringing Blue Accents into Your Home
A few weekends ago, we teamed up with Lowe’s to chat with all sorts of Bay Area folks about interior design. We helped dozens of people create their own unique DIY Coat Racks (peep photos below!) and answered lots of questions about home decor. And, since we figure a lot of you might have the same questions, we’re here to share a few key interior design rules as well as a collection of stylish decor pieces we found at Lowe’s.
First, the rules!
1. Choose a Color Palette: When it comes to your home, it’s good to choose a general color palette that echoes throughout your space. If you’re feeling really bold, you can also create a color palette for each room. This will ensure that your home feels cohesive, even if you have an eclectic collection of objects and furniture. It will also help you curate better, so you don’t end up with a crazy collection of lamps, artwork and what not that don’t fit together.
2. Layer Your Lighting: Create more dimension in your space by layering your lights. Go for one big overhead light, along with table lamps and standing lamps throughout the room. This will create a warm vibe instead of a stark one, as often happens when people employ only overhead lighting.
3. Coordinate Your Textiles: You don’t want your pillows, curtain and rug to all be the exact same pattern, but you do want them to coordinate. Go for a variety of patterns but within the same color palette. And remember to include a few solids to counter all the patterns and textures in your room.
4. Add in Focal Points: Now that you’ve got all the little pieces in place, it’s time to design in a focal point or two. You can use a large statement mirror to create a focal point (with the added bonus of making the room feel bigger!) or you can create a salon wall with a mix of photographs and art work. If you’re feeling really motivated, you can even create a statement wall by painting a mural right onto your wall!
Want more tips on how to style your home for less? Check out the video above!
Now, back to the blues! If you’re looking to add some color to your home, look no further. We’ve picked out 9 chic yet affordable accessories items from Lowe’s that will turn around your style blues.
2. Light Blue Ceramic Decorative Lantern ($17): How cool is this lantern? We’re digging the vintage vibe.
3. allen + roth Rectangular Blue Geometric Area Rug ($238): Yes — you can totally score a stylish rug for less than you thought.
4. allen + roth Oberlin Geometric Curtain ($27): Remember, don’t go too matchy matchy. Choose a pattern for your curtains that coordinates with your pillows and rug, without looking too cookie cutter.
5. allen + roth Linen Decorative Pillow ($20): Instead of a pillow with a pattern printed onto it, go for this textured embroidered option.
6. Woodland Imports Owl Vase ($42): Hark, HOOOOO goes there? ;)
7. allen + roth Aqua Glass Vase ($20): We love the ombre look of this classy vase. Now, if only we had some fresh flowers to put in it…!
8. Garden Treasures Ceramic Candle ($4): Never underestimate the power of a candle! It brings light and life to the room with a simple flip of the switch, or match if we’re being literal about it.
9. Garden Treasures Outdoor Decorative Pillow ($14): One more pillow, for good measure.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)