18 Sweet and Savory Bread Pudding Recipes to Dig Into Now
If you’re like us, you’re always looking for ways to reduce food waste. Repurposing holiday leftovers and putting extra egg whites to use are good places to start, but only scratch the surface of ways to avoid tossing more stuff onto the compost pile. These 18 bread pudding recipes are a beautiful way to transform a (stale) loaf of bread and some other near-death produce into indulgent eats. Knowing that you’ve saved bread from ending up in the bin makes digging into each one of these creamy casseroles extra sweet.
2. Grilled Cheese Bread Pudding: As if grilled cheese wasn’t already one of our favorite sandwiches, it had to go ahead and become even more irresistible with this extra cheesy pudding. (via Apron Clad)
4. Caramelized Onion and Feta Bread and Butter Pudding: We love this as an alternative to traditional stuffing. Outside of the holiday season, it’s an ideal accompaniment to your favorite winter roast. (via Sugar Et Al)
5. Pretzel Bread Pudding With Peanut Butter Sauce: If you love crunchy, peanut-butter-filled pretzels, this bread pudding is for you. All of your favorite flavors are transformed with soft pretzels and a creamy peanut sauce. (via A Local Choice)
7. Raspberry Custard Croissant Pudding: Loaded with tons of flavor and textures courtesy of fresh raspberries and sugared almonds, these mini puddings are a real treat for the senses. (via The Kiwi Cook)
8. Summer Squash and Vidalia Onion Bread Pudding: We love the flecks of bright yellow squash peeking through the pieces of whole grain bread. This reimagined Southern dish is a must-make during Vidalia onion season. (via Southern Boy Dishes)
10. Artichoke Bread Pudding With Bacon and Gorgonzola: No bread cubes here. Instead, brioche is layered beautifully with cheese plus artichokes, bacon and the requisite eggy custard for a slightly more sophisticated presentation. (via Climbing Grier Mountain)
12. Savory Bread Pudding With Ham, Cheese and Caramelized Onions: Serve this tempting combo up any time of day. We imagine a runny-yolked egg perched atop each serving would make for one heck of a brunch. (via Buns in My Oven)
18. Bread and Butter Pudding With Sourdough and Sugar Plums: The secret’s out. It was this bread pudding that made the Sugar Plum Fairy dance and dance all holiday season long. (via Alana Bread)
What’s your favorite way to put an almost-stale loaf of bread to use? Do you make bread pudding or something else? Share your food-waste-reducing secretes with us below!