20 Breakfast Bowl Recipes to Jump-Start Your Morning
With desk lunches becoming more and more common, it’s also increasingly important to unplug and find some time for yourself. There’s one way to do exactly that, and it’s so simple you’re going to want to try it right away. Want the solution? It’s breakfast! Here’s the deal: If you can make time at least one morning during the week before work or school, try cooking yourself some blueberry pancakes, making an easy avocado toast recipe or trying one of these energy-filled breakfast bowls. You already love smoothie bowls, right? Well, with these 20 breakfast bowl recipes, you’ll find yourself more focused and content the rest of the day.
1. Ochazuke: While this Japanese steamed rice dish is typically eaten late at night, it also makes a satisfying first meal of the day. Good quality dashi (Japanese broth made with fish) is the key to cooking the most delicious ochazuke. Traditional Japanese toppings like salmon roe and pickled plums can be hard to find, so try vegetables like steamed watercress, baked salmon and a fried egg. This is healthy comfort food at its finest. (via Just One Cookbook)
2. Dark Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl: Sweeten up your quinoa with this chocolatey quinoa porridge recipe. Opt for natural sweeteners like maple syrup or coconut sugar for an indulgent yet energy-boosting morning that won’t have you crashing. (via Minimalist Baker)
3. Savory Pesto Quinoa Breakfast Bowls: This is the kind of hearty breakfast bowl you need for those mornings when you wake up ravenous and craving a full meal. On that note, it could also work as an easy, delicious lunch. Kale basil pesto gives this bowl a kick of salty herbacious flavor that makes this breakfast anything but bland. (via Simply Quinoa)
4. Guacamole and Egg Breakfast Bowl: Guacamole for breakfast? Yes, please! While this recipe holds off on the garlic, you can go for it — especially if you’re staying in or have a piece of gum handy. Add toasty pieces of bread for a fun twist on panzanella, or try strips of crisped corn tortillas. Don’t forget the hot sauce! (via Kitchen Sanctuary)
5. Superfood Breakfast Bowl: Start your day off on the right foot with a healthy ancient grain cereal. Hot quinoa is a great protein-packed alternative to oatmeal. Top with a mixture of dried and fresh fruit like goji berries, coconut flakes and bananas for natural sweetness. (via Camille Styles)
6. Huevos Rancheros: Enjoy brunch any day of the week with this Mexican breakfast-inspired polenta bowl. Make the polenta in advance, then when it’s time for breakfast, simply top with black beans, crumbled feta, fried eggs and avocado. Of course, you should garnish liberally with hot sauce. (via Salted Plains)
7. Warm Green Breakfast Bowl: If you’re planning on an intense workout or just want to stay satiated all morning, this is your go-to breakfast bowl. It’s got quinoa, eggs and almonds, so we’d say you’re pretty set on protein. It’s tasty for breakfast, lunch or even a quick dinner. (via Sarah Glover)
8. Onsen Tamago: This method of preparing eggs yields the opposite of a soft-boiled egg. Instead of a firm egg white with a runny yolk, the “onsen” technique gives egg whites a soft, milky consistency, while the yolk turns firm yet still remains creamy. Once you wrap your head around that, you’ll find all kinds of ways to eat more onsen style eggs, whether you mix them into rice and soy sauce or simply toss them in with breakfast hash. (via Just One Cookbook)
9. Toasted Oatmeal With Strawberry Chia Jam and Coconut Whipped Cream: ‘Sup, oatmeal haters! Time to give it one more shot. Toasting oatmeal before adding liquid keeps it chewy, rather than mushy. It also brings out the oatmeal’s nutty flavor. If you’re still not a fan after trying this, we’d be shocked. (via Cookie and Kate)
10. One-Bowl Quinoa Breakfast Bake: This clever quinoa bake, which can be eaten hot or cold, uses orange juice as a sweetener for a bonus citrus kick. Top with fresh slices of orange, nut butter and cacao nibs for a flavor combination that can’t be beat. (via Brit + Co)
11. Coconut Rice and Pomegranate Porridge: Recharge after your morning workout with a bowl of this jasmine rice porridge. The carbohydrates in rice make for the perfect energizing fuel. And it’s gluten-free to boot! (via Cotter Crunch)
12. Inner Goddess Raspberry Breakfast Bowls: Turn your standard breakfast grain bowl inside out with this fruit-tastic recipe. Puree frozen peaches or mangos with a little water and raspberries, then combine with your favorite crunchy toppings, like flax seed or granola. (via Pinch of Yum)
13. Miso Veggie Breakfast Bowl: Cook your miso sautéed vegetables ahead of time and refrigerate for less prep time in the morning. Simply reheat your vegetables (or serve cold) and top with fried eggs and fresh sliced avocado. Make a big batch so you can breeze through breakfast all week. (via Reclaiming Provincial)
14. Crispy Rice Bowl With Lemongrass, Mint, Cucumber and Ginger: If you can’t make it out to Los Angeles to try Jessica Koslow’s cozy brunch spot Sqirl, we recommend bringing Sqirl to your home. For the uninitiated, Sqirl boasts inventive rice bowls with bright flavors from around the world and burnt brioche toast with fresh ricotta and seasonal jam. Unfortunately, Koslow can’t cook for you, but you can do a darn good job of recreating her iconic crispy rice bowl at home. (via Buzzfeed)
15. Piña Colada Oatmeal Bowl: Take a vacation to a tropical state of mind for breakfast. Dress up your everyday oatmeal by cooking it in coconut milk. Top with coconut yogurt, toasted coconut flakes and some fresh pineapple, and your morning is suddenly a lot more enjoyable. (via Smart Little Cookie)
16. Greek Goddess Grain Bowl With “Fried” Zucchini, Toasted Seeds and Fried Halloumi: Give seeds a chance with this seriously hearty breakfast bowl. Toast a variety of seeds, like flax, sesame and hemp, to replace traditional grains. They’ll give this not-quite-a-salad a satisfying crunch that’s complemented by tart cherry tomatoes, lightly fried zucchini and chewy halloumi cheese. Why not eat it for breakfast AND lunch? (via Half Baked Harvest)
17. Farro Avocado Breakfast Bowl With Sumac Miso Vinaigrette: Those who gravitate more toward salty and savory food will love this dish. The dressing strikes a perfect balance of salty, umami and sour. That’s why everything it touches is addictively delicious until the last bite. (via Local Milk)
18. Savory Breakfast Bowl: You can get the majority of the prep work for this recipe out of the way if you make a big batch of barley, broiled tomatoes and sautéed greens. You’ll be glad you did as you start off every day of the week with a nutrient-packed bowl of grains and veggies, topped with an egg and a dollop of creamy yogurt. Season with z’ataar spice for a salty, tangy kick. (via Martha Stewart)
19. Oatmeal Cookie Dough Bake: We’re pretty sure it’s everyone’s lifelong dream to get away with eating cookie dough for an actual meal. That’s why this oatmeal cookie dough bake with nut butter and applesauce is a genius recipe. It tastes like a cookie AND it’s totally good for you. Pro tip: swap out chocolate chips for cacao nibs if you’re feeling extra good. (via Running With Spoons)
20. Super Chia Bowl: Zesty lemon chia pudding serves as a delicious base for nuts and fresh fruit. Even though this bowl tastes light, it will leave you feeling energized and happy thanks to the good fats and the protein in nuts and chia seeds. (via Brit + Co)
Follow us on Pinterest for more delicious + easy breakfast recipe ideas.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)