New Celeb Wedding Trend: Bridesmaids Wearing White
The one rule to follow when it comes to bridesmaid style is there are no rules. Really, we’re all past the point where hem lengths have to match while all hair parts are swept to the same side, even if you do consider yourself a classic bride. And now, the latest break from bridesmaid tradition okays what was once considered the biggest wedding day gaffe of all: wearing white. The off-limits hue has now become the color (or actually, non-color) of choice for every kind of bride, and if you think about it, it makes total sense. White is universally flattering — not only will your besties approve of the color choice, but the always-chic shade will also make your altar scene feel especially ethereal. Almost ready to embrace the big day faux pas? These six celeb bridesmaids will have you wishing for a truly white wedding.
Jessica Simpson: Jess nails the dreamy bridesmaid look for her sister Ashlee’s majorly boho affair in a strappy maxi with lacy details. Glam it out with a jeweled crown or put it over the top with a flower crown.
1. ASOS Premium Maxi Dress ($285): This halter dress opens up in the back with a subtle criss cross straps that keep this look romantic yet refined.
2. Santorini Wrap Dress ($108): A ruffled hem give this wrap dress an extra breezy vibe. Strap on metallic sandals and an arm cuff or two to dress it up.
The Kardashians: Kim outfitted all of her sisters in pretty much wedding gowns for her blink-of-the-eye marriage to Kris Humphries, and while it may seem like a typical over-the-top move from the now Mrs. West, it actually *might* be the sweetest gesture a bride can make on her big day.
4. Monique Lhuillier Pleated One-Shoulder Tulle Trumpet Gown ($350): Tulle cascades from shoulder to toe on this gorgeous gown — have the bride wear a full-length veil to stand out.
5. 3.1 Philip Lim Luna Gown ($1,100): An asymmetric bodice shines in the midst of mesh and tulle that would match a bride’s satin dress perfectly.
6. Badgley Mischka Collection Iridescent Strapless Ruffle Gown ($695): Layers of ruffles give an extra special feel to this sweet number that could only be outdone by the bride’s tiered tulle ball gown.
Pippa Middleton: The secret to looking as timeless as Pippa? Stick with classic silhouettes that boast simple details — a crisp cap sleeve, preppy pleats — and that fits your body flawlessly.
7. Alfred Sung Woven Fit & Flare Dress ($198): Structured cap sleeves help add shape to this sheath that cinches and splays in all the right places.
8. ASOS Midi Cami Body-Conscious Dress in Rib ($35): This is how to wear a form-fitting dress on the altar — a classic cami cut and a below-the-knee hemline make this the classiest way to show off your curves.
9. Trina Turk Catch the Wind Dress ($328): There’s something vaguely vintage about this darling pleated dress — add to that vibe with a blusher and red lip or keep it modern with a messy bob and statement jewels.
Jennifer Lawrence: Mixing up your necklines is a genius way to separate the bride from the bridesmaids when you’re all dressed in white — JLaw exhibits how picture-perfect a sweetheart top can be.
10. Erin Fetherston Coralie Foiled Silk Chiffon Gown ($395): Reflect the bride’s beaded and blinged gown in this metallic print chiffon number.
11. Ann Taylor Silk Chiffon Paillette Strapless Dress ($425): Scalloped pailettes make this strapless dress completely dazzling — keep the rest of your look simple with basic white pumps and a braided chignon.
12. Zimmermann Silk V Maxi Dress ($475): We’re obsessed with this not-so-sweetheart neckline that plunges down the center to create just the right amount of drama.
Emily Blunt: Em + crew stuck to the most perfectly preppy fit-and-flares for her sister’s nuptials (posing here with Nanette Lepore, who designed all of the dresses), proving that big embellishments can’t beat fresh-faced family + friends.
13. Eliza J Jeweled Sleeveless Satin Tulip Dress ($198): Clean lines, a girly flare and a bow to seal the deal — this might be the prettiest of the no-frill bridesmaid style set.
14. Kate Spade New York Marilyn Dress ($428): Take this simple silhouette to the next level with a glam satin sheen and cutout back, and remember to kill it with kitten heels.
15. ASOS Petite Exclusive Mini Dress With Peplum Hem in Sheer Stripe ($104): Sheer stripes give this sleeveless mini dress just the right amount of pop — oh yeah, and that peplum doesn’t hurt either!
Lauren Conrad: LC may not have outfitted her bridal party in white for her actual wedding, but she did make a major switch up on the cover of Martha Stweart Weddings where she wore a beaded champagne colored gown and her bridesmaids wore white. We can always appreciate a bride who’ll embrace more than blue on her big day and leaves her girls in LWDs.
17. ASOS Angel Sleeve Skater Dress ($67): Nothing is easier and more ethereal than an angel sleeve dress — we couldn’t dream up a more effortlessly romantic look.
So spill: Would you let your bridesmaids wear white with you down the aisle? Which celeb-approved look was your fave? Tell us in the comments below.