Make This Chickpea and Lentil Soup Recipe for Lunch to Warm You Up This Winter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3/4 cup red split lentils
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 14-ounce can tomatoes, whole or chopped
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped (remove the seeds if you don’t like it too spicy)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- small bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1/2 teapsoon smoked paprika
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onions on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until they start to soften. Add in the garlic and stir. Cook for one minute.
Add the lentils and stir to coat them in the oil. Add in the stock, canned tomatoes, chickpeas and chopped chiles. Stir, then bring to gentle bubble. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are tender.
Once the lentils are tender, carefully blend the soup using a hand blender, then stir in the salt and pepper, taste and add a little more if required.
Ladle the soup into four bowls, then top with the scallions, swirl in the cream and sprinkle with smoked paprika.