Starbucks Who? 10 Coconut Milk Drinks You Can Make at Home
Starbucks did the dairy- and soy-avoiding masses a real liquid — err, solid — a couple weeks back when it announced that stores across the US would begin offering coconut milk as a vegan option for frapps, capps and all your other caffeinated morning must-haves. And while we love the new dairy alternative, there’s definitely been some backlash over the nutritional value (or lack thereof) and gratuitous additives of the particular type of coco milk Starbucks is using. Lucky for us, there’s no need to depend on ‘Bucks for your coco fix. We’re celebrating this non-dairy wonder with 10 creamy coconut milk drinks you can make at home.
1. Homemade Vegan Baileys: It’s not just for Christmas or St. Patty’s Day. This non-dairy version of everyone’s favorite sweet, boozy treat is perfect on the rocks or snuck into your pour-over. (via Spabettie)
2. Turmeric Tea: Now here’s a slightly spicy, coconut-milk-based homemade tea that will cure whatever ails you: insomnia, the blues, a cold, that chronic winter “even my bones are cold” feeling, you name it. (via The View from Great Island)
4. Coconut, Vanilla and Almond Butter Smoothie: This super simple concoction is decadent without being too rich. Just add a little raw cocoa powder if you want to get real crazy. Or, you know, if you just like chocolate for breakfast. (via The Housewife in Training Files)
5. Iced Hawaiian Coffee: No tropical vacay this year? Not a problem. While we can’t promise this creamy vegan coffee drink will whisk you away to an island luau, we can promise it will make your morning (or afternoon) coffee fix a whole lot sweeter. Plus, it’s so easy. (via Bake Love Give)
7. Thai Iced Tea Pops: Speaking of frosty, these creamy pops are a handy sweet — but not too sweet — vegan treat when you’re craving Thai iced tea (and let’s be honest, even where you’re not). (via Oh My Veggies)
8. Toasted Coconut Hot Chocolate: Umm, yes please. This recipe combines dairy milk with coconut. To make it vegan, use all coconut milk, sub in non-dairy chocolate chips and make whipped coconut cream instead of the marshmallow-fluff whipped cream. (via Chocolate Moosey)
9. Vanilla-Hazelnut Coffee Creamer: Homemade condensed coconut milk is pretty much our dream. Add almond milk and natural flavorings, and you’ve got yourself a delish, habit-forming cup of coffee. (via An Edible Mosaic)
10. Naturally Sweetened Vegan Horchata: This Mexican-style horchata is legit. Cinnamon-y, vanilla-y goodness is combined beautifully to make this velvety, rice-almond-coconut milk mixture. (via The Roasted Root)
Will you be whipping up a grande coconut concoction right about now? Share with us below!