A couple weeks ago we were enamored over the Oreo bagel. Of course these bagels are back in my home state of New Jersey, and it’s impossible for me to taste test one until my next trip home. I (and the rest of B+C) couldn’t wait any longer, so I decided to give the bagel-making process a go (check out rainbow bagels here!) and put our B+C twist on it. Say hello to the Circus Animal Cracker bagel. Yes, you heard that right — we turned our favorite sugary cookie into a bagel dessert. You’re welcome in advance for the sugar coma :)
— 1 1/4 cups of water
— 4 1/2 cups bread flour
— 3 Tablespoons white sugar
— 1 teaspoon salt
— 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
— 1 Tablespoon of instant yeast
— 1/3 cup of sugar cookie mix
— 8 ounces plain cream cheese
— Circus Animal Crackers
— rainbow sprinkles
— pink food coloring
1. Combine the water, bread flour, sugar, salt, vegetable oil and yeast into a mixer. Set the mixer on a low speed and let it mix for about 4 minutes.
2. Take the dough out of the bowl and mix in pink food coloring to give it a marbled look. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Let rise for 2 hours.
3. Punch the dough down and place on a lightly floured surface. Use a knife to cut the dough into 8 pieces. Roll the pieces into ropes and join the ends to form a circle.
4. Bring a pot of water to a boil and boil the bagels for about 1 minute per side. Remove bagels and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
5. Dip the tops of the bagels in rainbow sprinkles and then bake in a 475 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 minutes.
6. While the bagels cook, crunch up about one cup of Circus Animal Crackers. Mix in the sugar cookie mix, cream cheese and rest of the sprinkles. Stir until they are all combined.
7. Once the bagels are cool, slice open and layer animal crackers and animal cracker cream cheese inside the bagel. Enjoy!
Add the bread flour, water, oil, sugar, salt and yeast into your mixing bowl.
Set the mixer on a low speed and let it knead the dough for about four minutes.
Grab that hunk of dough and work in some pink food coloring. No need to mix it in all the way — marbled bagels are the way to go ;)
Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for two hours.
Two hours later… risen dough! Punch it down and pull it out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface.
Cut the dough into eight pieces and roll into long ropes. Join the ropes at the ends to create beautiful bagels.
Boil the bagels for about one minute on each side, then place them onto a parchment-paper-covered baking sheet.
Dip the tops of your bagels into rainbow sprinkles and place your tray of bagels in the oven at 475 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
While you wait for your delicious bagels to bake, get started on the animal cracker cream cheese. Crush about one cup of animal crackers and mix with 1/3 cup of sugar cookie mix, eight ounces cream cheese and the leftover sprinkles.
Stir all together until you have a rainbow bowl of goodness suited for a true unicorn.
10 minutes later… beautiful golden-brown rainbow-swirled bagels!
Let them cool and then slice open to start assembling the magic.
A layer of animal crackers is a must for this masterpiece.
Next, add a decent serving of the best cream cheese you will ever taste.
Time to chow down!
Everyone at Brit HQ was going gaga over these bagels. Oreo bagel and rainbow bagel — this is your warning. I am coming for you in the ultimate dessert bagel bake off.
The animal cracker votes are in — they all say YES!
Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!
DIY Production and Styling: Kelly Bryden
Photography: Kurt Andre