41 Creative DIY Planters to Make for Your Home
Now that spring has sprung, we’re chowing down on seasonal produce, shopping the best spring style, and finding the right homes for all those pretty plants. Here are 41 DIY planters for all those spring flowers.
1. DIY Disco Ball Planters: There ain’t no party like a pink disco ball party — especially when it’s filled with greenery! (via A Bubbly Life)
2. DIY Crystal Planters: Purify your home with energy-filled geodes and customize your home vibes. We love integrating natural elements to create pretty things. Of quartz we do! (via Jojotastic)
3. DIY Vintage Tea Tin Planters: Take your afternoon tea and then swap out the bags with soil for a creative twist on a planter. Just add water. (via Sisoo)
4. DIY Kintsugi Planters: Give broken ceramics and pottery new life with this Japanese restoration technique. Gold filler makes these repaired pieces both useful and a gorgeous addition to your home decor. (via The Beauty Dojo)
5. DIY Crushed Tin Can Planters: Just give those old tin cans a good crushing and spray paint that sh*t gold. It really is the simple things in life. (via Pillar Box Blue)
6. Floppy Disk Planters: We’ll start with an oldie but a goodie from the archive. These floppy disk planters are a great way to repurpose old tech. (via Brit + Co)
7. Painted Pots Hanging on Fence: Buy a bunch of potted plants, paint the pots, and nail ’em up on your fence. (via Apartment Therapy)
8. Switch Plate Planters: We love the hacker look of this, though we’re not sure we have tons of extra switch plates lying around. (via Apartment Therapy)
9. Hanging Garden Boots: How adorable are these? Perfect for April showers and May flowers. (via Rosy Posy)
10. Painted Tire Planters: Loving all the color! (via Lemon Bean and Things)
11. Colander Planters: Colanders are actually kind of perfect planters since they let your plants breathe and drain. (via Bonnie Plants)
12. Aged Terra Cotta Pots: You can totally fake the antique look with a little help from dirt, spray paint stone, and moss. (via Imparting Grace)
13. Modern Paver Planters: You can use readymade stones for a path and turn them into planters. Win! (via Curbly)
14. Vertical Succulent Garden: The beauty of the vertical succulent garden will never get old. (via Luna-See)
15. Concrete Planters: We are particularly digging the sunburst-shaped planter — it almost looks like a coffee filter! (via Outdoor Theme)
16. Hanging Purse Garden: This one might be on the too-silly side of the coin. (via HGTV)
17. Paint Can Planters: Such great use of old paint cans. (via HGTV)
19. Workspace Planter Set: No need for your desk? Turn it into a garden. (via HGTV)
21. Book Planters: The more book planters, the merrier. (via Apartment Therapy)
22. Recycled Upside Down Planters: We love the idea of hanging tomato and herb plants for small apartments and homes. (via Design*Sponge)
23. Shoe Organizer Vertical Garden: This might be a better use of of those weird shoe organizers than using them for shoes. (via Instructables)
24. Chevron Wood Box: You had us at chevron. (via Stuff Seth Makes)
25. Textured Planters: The texture on these planters was created using wine corks. So cool. (via Design*Sponge)
26. Linen Milk Carton: Simply wrap linen around a milk carton and you’ve got this gorgeous rustic look. (Family Chic)
27. Paint-Dripped Earthenware: Love the Moroccan vibe of these paint-dripped pots. (via Ikea Blog)
28. Handmade Clay Houses: Making this is way easier than you think — be sure to click through to find out how. (via Say Yes)
29. Marbleized Planter: All you need is spray paint and water to make your own set of marbleized planters. (via Brit + Co.)
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Kate Myhre (@katesmyhre) on
30. Neon Concrete Blocks: These would also double as great bookends.
32. DIY Dino Planter: You *need* to make a herd of dinosaur planters for your patio. The cat won’t know what to think of them! (via Maggie Overby Studios)
33. DIY Paver Planter: This project unites cement, wood, and brass come so beautifully — and the planter doubles as a house number. (via Classy Clutter)
34. DIY Tropical Party Planters: Turn those dollar-aisle pouches into wall planters for your blooms. Your air plants are gonna love it. (via Blissmakes)
35. Dyed Popsicle Stick Planter: There needs to be more popsicle stick crafts in the world. This boho-inspired planter is full of personality. Get the kids to make one too while you’re at it! (via Jennifer Perkins)
36. DIY Monogram Planter: Keeping up with who? Let the neighbors know who’s setting the pace for the HOA this summer with this Pinterest-perfect front step scene. (via Remodelaholic)
37. DIY Polish Chandelier Planter: This DIY chandelier is super colorful, very tactile, and the prettiest piece you’ll make this season. (via The House That Lars Built)
38. DIY House Number Planter: Put your house number up high with this reimagined succulent planter. Restoration Hardware, eat your heart out. (via Sarah Hearts)
39. Easy Fabric Planter DIY: Turn all those old t-shirts and too-small shorts into unique planters. (via A Beautiful Mess)
40. DIY Mosaic Wall Planter: Dropped a box moving? We’ve got you covered. If not, hit the thrift store and pick your patterns. (via Pillar Box Blue)
41. DIY Copper Planters: These mid-century modern beauties are the ideal pairing for plants with height and lots of drama. (via Garvin and Co.)
Not up for making a planter? Then check out these 10 creative readymade planters, perfect for the avant gardener.
Looking for more creative planter ideas? Follow us on Pinterest!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.