20 DIYs to Upgrade Your Plates, Bowls and Glasses Before the Holidays
Dinner parties are the best: You get to do things like experiment with new cocktail recipes, treat yourself to a slice of cinnamon bun pecan pie, create calligraphy place cards and DIY an epic balloon backdrop. After you’ve put in all that hard work, the last thing you want to do is put boring plates on the table. There are plenty of unique, colorful glasses you can buy, but DIYing is way more fun. Scroll down to check out these 20 projects that’ll give your boring basics a snazzy new look and have you prepped for every festive occasion.
1. DIY Cacti Wine Glasses: Sip your favorite wine in style. Your guests won’t be able to keep their hands off these trendy gold cacti glasses, and you’ll love how easy they are to DIY. Have a gold Sharpie? Then these glasses can be yours. (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Footed Serving Bowls: Your sides and salads deserve a star treatment, and so does the bowl you serve them out of. Transform a set of serving bowls with the addition of a rustic wood foot that’ll really show off all your hard work. (via Sugar & Cloth)
3. DIY Blendo Breakfast Bowls: Breakfast and ice cream are the two most important meals of the day, so make sure you’ve got a set of bowls that are up for the challenge. Impress your friends and get that cereal flowing for a classy morning or chic midnight snack. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
4. DIY Ombre Glassware: Why serve from a plain plastic pitcher when you could use something a little more stylish? DIY a set of matching glasses for a bold color pop on your dining table or bar cart. These babies aren’t dishwasher safe, but they’re cute enough to overlook that small drawback. (via Studio DIY)
5. DIY Party Snack Bowls: If one ombre is good, then two shades of ombre are awesome. These DIY snack bowls will keep the party going all night long. The simple design and fun colors are a great base to build the perfect popcorn or dessert bar. (via Lovely Indeed)
6. DIY Gold Rimmed Drinking Glasses: Your guests will think you pulled out the good glasses when they see these beauties — IKEA hack FTW. Transform inexpensive glasses into vintage-inspired glassware with a touch of gold that’ll take your bar cart to the next level. (via Freckle & Fair)
7. DIY Abstract Art Hexagon Plates: This pretty hand-painted set looks like it could have come from Anthropologie, but you can beef up your dessert plate collection for less than you’d pay for a week’s worth of peppermint mochas. Make sure you use food-safe paint or glaze so you can serve up pie without worrying about ruining the slice. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
8. DIY Decorative Marble Plates: Ready to ensure your dinner gets mega likes on Insta? Get servin’ with these glam marble and gold plates. Nope, it’s not real marble, so it won’t cost you a fortune no matter how many people you’re hosting over the holidays. (via Sugar & Cloth)
9. DIY Copper Leaf Drink Stirrers: If you love unique cocktails, how about adding a little autumnal style to your bar cart? Take an hour to whip up these copper leaf drink stirrers to serve with your signature drink, or wrap them up with a ribbon and gift them to the hostess with the mostest. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
12. DIY Gold Barware: How’s your bar cart looking? If you need a set of gilded glassware to match your mixology skills, how about some gold vinyl stickers? These gold foil glasses are just begging for a coffee cocktail that’ll have your guests totally starstruck. (via A Beautiful Mess)
13. DIY Confetti Plates: You won’t want to serve actual food on these painted plates, but use them as a charger and they’ll set the tone for your meal. Pair these plates with a set of confetti poppers and you’ve got a party on your hands. (via Sugar & Cloth)
14. DIY Lettered Dinner Plates: If you want a set of plates that’ll go with any color palette, you can’t go wrong with plain acrylic. Obviously, it wouldn’t be right to just leave them plain, so add some personality with pretty hand lettering. (via Oh So Beautiful Paper)
15. DIY Brushstroke Glasses: Looking to add a little color to your cocktail game? Or perhaps just want to give some of those acrylic party glasses a creative upgrade? Each of these glasses takes a few minutes or less — all you need is vinyl stickers and a good playlist. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
16. DIY Mid-Century Modern Inspired Glasses: Once you’ve nailed the perfect cocktail, show your guests your excellent taste in style with these retro-inspired glasses. The gold diamond band gives an otherwise plain piece some serious character. (via Design for Soul)
17. DIY Colorful Angled Dessert Bowls: The colorful rim on these mini dessert bowls makes them look like fancy designer dishes. But with this DIY, you’ll still have plenty of money left over for extra ice cream toppings. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
18. DIY Marble and Copper Foil Chargers: These gold-edge platters add more than a dash of glam to any tablescape. And since they’re made with marble contact paper, they’ll never shatter on you. (via Bird’s Party)
19. DIY Metallic Patterned Glassware: Whether they’re holding eggnog or a clementine whiskey smash, these glasses are sure to see a lot of action over the holidays. The gold foil geometric accents are a simple look, but chic enough to make this one piece your bar cart can’t live without. (via Sugar & Cloth)
20. DIY Serving Bowls: Your serving bowls are about to be front and center, so it’s time to whip them into shape with a little decoupage action. Add delicate shapes around the rim or cover the entire exterior with a cheery color-blocked effect. (via Brit + Co)
Need more ideas for your next dinner party? Follow us on Pinterest for plenty of inspiration and DIY ideas!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)