This 6-Step Workout Is So Easy, You Can Do It During the Oscars Commercial Breaks
You’ve chosen your winners for your Oscar pool, tweeted about the Oscar snubs that bothered you the most, and poured yourself a heaping glass of rosé: You’re now officially ready to watch this year’s Academy Awards. There’s always a ton of entertaining moments during the Oscars (fingers crossed that there’s not another Best Picture mix-up this year), but we must admit that we usually only make it half way through the three-hour award show before we’re in desperate need of a good stretch. That’s why we tapped FlyBarre Creative Director Kara Liotta to hook us up with a short six-step workout that we can use to recharge during the commercial breaks of this year’s Oscars. Don’t forget to thank the Academy during your tricep dips!
1. Front Raise to Lateral Raise: Sit up straight at the edge of your chair and lift your arms up to shoulder height in front of your body (AKA look like a zombie), making sure your thumbs are pointed toward the ceiling. Bring your arms back down to your lap. From there, lift your arms up to the sides of your body (your elbows should be bent at 90-degrees and your palms should be facing down) and then bring your arms back down to your lap. Alternate between these two positions for 30 seconds.
2. Seated Side Bend: Begin in a comfortable seated position with your palms up (make sure your elbows are bent to 90-degrees with your forearms down beside your hips and your elbows pulling back behind you). Reach your left arm up and over your head as your body leans to the right. Return to the neutral position and repeat for one minute (30 seconds with your left arm and 30 seconds with your right).
3. Tricep Dips: Start in a sitting position and walk your legs out in front of you, making sure your knees are bent and together. Bring your hands to the edge of your chair with your fingertips pointed down to the floor. Begin to bend and extend your elbows (the motion is similar to a backwards push-up), pushing up through your triceps. Repeat for 30 seconds.
4. Standing Bent Over Row: Stand with your feet just outside your hips, slightly bend your knees, and lean forward, making sure to keep your spine long. Reach your arms down to the floor with your palms facing toward each other. Begin to lift your arms up and out to the sides, squeezing your shoulder blades together at the top. Now return to the original position by lowering your arms in front of your body. Repeat for 30 seconds.
5. Table Top Arm to Leg Reach: Come into a tabletop position on the floor with your hands under your shoulders and your knees under your hips. Keeping your back flat, begin to slowly reach your right arm in front of you while your left leg lifts behind you. Alternate between each side for 30 seconds.
6. Superman: Come to your stomach with your legs fully extended behind you and place your hands behind your head (make sure to keep your elbows wide). Engage your back and begin to slowly lift and lower your upper body. Repeat this motion for 30 seconds.
Are you planning on squeezing in a quick workout during the 2018 Oscars? Tweet us by mentioning @BritandCo.
(Photos via Kara Liotta)