Easy Peppermint Sandwich Cookies to Make at Home
Sweet, refreshing and literally sandwiched by chocolate, these peppermint cookies are the perfect way to keep feeling merry all winter long. Similar to store-bought Oreo cookies with those unmistakable creamy centers, this DIY recipe is simple to whip up and packs in about 10-times the flavor! The homemade chocolate shortbread is crisp yet tender, while the peppermint filling is extra creamy with the addition of melted white chocolate. Seriously, chocolate and mint have never tasted so good together. So while the days are still short and gloomy and with the holidays behind us, keep the festive spirit alive as we roll into the new year by making a batch (or two) of these peppermint chocolate sandwich cookies.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
The dough is quite crumbly, but try not to over-mix it. It is done mixing when you can squeeze the dough together and it stays intact. If at any point the dough seems too soft or difficult to roll out, chill in the refrigerator until firm.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Add in the sugar and mix until light and fluffy, about three minutes.
- In two batches with the mixer on low, add in the dry ingredients. Continue to mix until the dough begins to clump and come together. Do not over-mix.
- Divide the dough in half and form into two, flat discs. Roll out the dough to about 1/4-inch thick between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Cut out the cookies and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Place the cutout cookies on the baking sheet in the refrigerator to chill for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After the cookies have chilled, bake for 15-18 minutes. Let rest on the cookie sheet for about five minutes, then allow cookies to completely cool on a wire rack.
For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, melted
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 4 Tablespoons peppermint candies, finely crushed
Cookies may be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for a few days. Tall glass of cold milk is optional.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and shortening until smooth.
- Add in the sugar, melted white chocolate and peppermint extract. Mix on low until incorporated, then turn the speed up to medium-high. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add in the crushed peppermint candies and mix until combined.
- Divide the cooled cookies into pairs.
- Pipe or spread on the filling on half of the cookies. Sandwich them together with the remaining half.