This Unexpected Detail Will Be Huge This Spring
While traditional fashion rules are getting overturned left and right — white after labor day, socks with sandals, black and blue — there’s one rule that simply can’t be broken, and that’s when you spot three, you call it. We’re talking about micro-trends, and the latest detail to pop up on our spring trends radar is the zipper. For spring, the functional design feature has transformed into a decorative detail, a way of adding personality, texture and drama to modern basics. Paired with a circular pull, they scream ’70s glamour, while asymmetric styling and contrasting colors read modern femme fatale. Zippers are a game-changing yet subtle detail, meaning they’re easily integrated it into your closet, and they pose some serious staying power (a big deal for your wallet). What’s not to love? Here, you’ll find 13 pieces that will zip your spring style into #OOTD-worthy territory just like that.
1. Sonia by Sonia Rykiel Lip Sweater ($260): This sweater is nothing short of sassy with those bold zipped lips. Keep ’em sealed or play a little peek-a-boo if you’re feeling feisty — it’s totally up to you. DO pair it with a matching red lip and bright glove shoes.
2. Mango Zipped Shift Dress ($80): Girls on the go, meet your new throw-on-and-go LBD. Asymmetric zips negate the need for lots of extras (lazy girls for the win!); just throw your hair into a top knot and head out the door.
3. Reformation Farah Jumpsuit ($158): If you can only swing one new piece this season, make it this beaut right here. It has desk-to-dinner dressing on lock (silk camis and sleeveless high-neck tops make it daytime appropriate) with nothing more than a quick step, step, zip. Metallic mules and stacking rings are obligatory.
4. Topshop Crepe Patch Pocket Skirt ($85): A ’60s-inspired mini skirt is the way to show off those gorgeous gams this spring, and this pretty peach number is prepared to do that and then some. Living in the past never looked so good.
5. & Other Stories Spaghetti Strap Linen Dress ($125): Give this linen A-line a whirl for a pared-down anytime look that plays nicely with this season’s most coveted lace-up shoes. Can’t wait for warmer weather to take it for a test drive? Throw it on over a burgundy blouse or sweater and OTK boots for right-now appeal.
6. Staud Joni Pant ($155): These chic ’70s corduroys are straight-up #OOTD gold. Slip ’em on with a ribbed turtleneck and gilded choker, then watch as the double taps come rolling in.
7. Forever21 Contemporary Crisscross-Back Zipped Jumpsuit ($30): Defy on-the-job attire norms and put a pair of overalls front row center in your work-wear wardrobe. Black fabric and a zip-front detail go hand-in-hand with ruffle-neck blouses and chunky heeled court shoes for a look that reads professional and polished, without venturing into stuffy territory.
8. Zara Front Zip Dress ($30): This rib knit frock is about to give your prized sweater dress dress collection some major competition. Boasting the same effortless and cozy vibes that made you swoon hard all winter long, this new-season style is guaranteed to be the piece you reach for the most from now until the end of spring.
9. Topshop Moto Stripe Zip Through Dress ($90): For those days when even a cup of Joe can’t cut through that early morning mental fog, this shirt dress steps in to save the day. Play into its androgynous-chic aesthetic by teaming it with slip-on loafers and an architectural satchel bag.
10. Whistles Bella Zip Denim Culotte ($270): Whether you’re heading to the office or chillin’ with the girls, these indigo culottes could be styled to perfection with a striped ’70s ribbed tee and casually cool clogs.
11. Nasty Gal After Party Vintage Holy Zip Ribbed Sweater ($58): Perfect for your off-the-clock style, this cropped crewneck cuts complicated out of the getting-dressed equation. Kick back in relaxed high-waisted jeans, a long camel trench and wide-brim hat for a weekend uniform that just works.
12. BDG Twig High-Rise Exposed Zip Skinny Jean ($69): If you just can’t part with your beloved skinny jeans, update them this season with a pair that feels hip to fashion’s current mid-century obsession. Contrast the sleek silhouette with an oversized mohair sweater and statement stud earrings, or streamline your look with a power blazer and semi-sheer blouse.
13. & Other Stories Zipped Dress ($115): From late-night brainstorm sessions to an indie show at your favorite hangout, this no-frills frock will always do you right. Wear it solo with metallic sneakers and a bomber jacket for endless lazy-girl vibes.
Will you be giving the zipper trend a go this season? Follow us on Pinterest for more spring trends and styling tips.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.