The Latest Korean Beauty Craze Has to Do With This Weird Health Trend
Whether you’re a #skincareaddict or casual beauty observer, Korean beauty is very likely on your radar. Those folks know what they’re doing when it comes to their skincare routines, and their bright, perfected complexions are a walking, talking testament to that. So when a new trend comes over to our side of the world, we make sure to stop and listen. The current craze comes in the form of fermentation, a technique that’s been around for centuries. The process involves soaking food in salt water, allowing for the growth of good bacteria, which produces vitamins, probiotics and enzymes that are great for your skin. The trend is just starting to catch on over here in the States, and we’ve rounded up nine products to try if you’re looking to hop on the K-beauty bandwagon.
1. Estée Lauder Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion ($95): If the gorgeous bottle wasn’t enough of a selling point, the promised glowing complexion should be. A concentrated blend of Micro-Nutrient Bio-Ferment helps to nourish and energize your skin for a simply luminous look.
2. Oskia Renessaince Hand Cream ($32): Fermented hand cream might sound a bit crazy, but the process actually adds some serious anti-aging benefits to an area of the body that first shows signs of aging. Fermented magnesium, iron and zinc stimulate cell-renewal to keep your hands hydrated and looking young.
3. Amarte Aqua Mist Toner ($67): This Korean skincare line uses naturally fermented gingko nut extract to give your face a boost of antioxidants. The result is brighter and healthier skin all around.
4. Crème de la Mer ($170/1 oz.): This cult-favorite moisturizer has been around for years and features a “miracle broth” that apparently takes months to ferment.
5. Brad Bio-Fermented Algae Concentrate ($130): Sticker shock aside, this formula features an impressive and therapeutic blend of fermented sea minerals that heal and soothe your skin.
6. Sulwahsoo Snowise EX Brightening Mask ($130/10-pack): Sheet masks not only make for hilarious selfies, but also work as complete complexion saviors. This particular mask employs a fermented formula that instantly brightens your skin for a more luminous look.
7. Immunocologie Exfoliating Lotion ($150): We can’t help but be impressed by this innovative ingredient list, which includes 15 fermented essential nutrients. The brand as a whole offers skin care with a focus on your body’s immune system, a practice which is evidenced in the specifically chosen ingredients of their Exfoliating Lotion.
8. SK-II Facial Treatment Essence ($99/2.5 oz): Featured on just about every celebrity’s bathroom counter, this essence has earned its cult status: It gently exfoliates your complexion and moderates skin renewal so you can be left with crystal clear skin.
9. Fresh Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask ($92): Black tea ferment is the key to this advanced formula. The ingredient is a powerful antioxidant that helps to soften, smooth and promote elasticity for your face. Sign us up!
Would you try a fermented beauty product? Let us know your faves in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)