5 Must-Haves to Throw a Slumber Party like Lorelai Gilmore
There is A LOT to celebrate about our favorite feel-good show coming back — yes, we’re talking about the Gilmore Girls revival announced in October. If you’re looking for an excuse to hang with other Gilmore Girls-obsessed friends, it’s time to throw a Super Cool Party People slumber party. Inspired by the episode of the same name, where Lorelai helps Luke throw his daughter April a birthday party, this fiesta will hit all the right nostalgia notes.
1. Rad Music: Luke made the grave mistake of not planning any activities or music for the party, but Lorelai swooped in. Pull out your clock radio, as Lorelai suggested… or swap in your Bluetooth speaker for a more modern option. Don’t forget to make a playlist of some ‘60s girl-group hits for some hairbrush-as-a-microphone singing fun.
2. Serpentine Junk Food + Booze Run: Lorelai and the girls hold hands and serpentine in the streets to the beauty store, but if you don’t live within walking distance of a Sephora or an Ulta (and if you do, we’re very jealous), it’s much more practical to serpentine to your nearest grocery store for snacks and alcohol that will satisfy your spiritual hunger.
3. Sweet + Silly Makeovers: As the Great Lorelai Gilmore says to Luke, “Thirteen-year-old girls and makeup. It’s like betting on Secretariat.” But that obsession with Bonne Bell Lip Smackers and all things makeup doesn’t go away after puberty. Have your friends bring over caboodles of their own makeup, hair tools, nail polish and more and get all dolled up just for funsies.
4. Classic Molly Ringwald Movie: Molly Ringwald will forever be the true Teen Queen. She’s got the perfect rosy pout to express her raw teenage angst. Can we seriously be her? You can’t go wrong with any of the holy trinity: The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink.
5. Necessary Shenanigans: A sleepover just isn’t a sleepover unless someone’s bra gets frozen, you stick your friend’s hand in a glass of water while she’s sleeping and you all play light as a feather, stiff as a board. Bring back theses oldies and you’ll be giggling away in no time.
What is your favorite part of a slumber party? Let us know in the comments!
(Photos via Warner Bros. Television, Universal Pictures)