5 Must-Haves to Throw a Slumber Party like Lorelai Gilmore
There is A LOT to celebrate about our favorite feel-good show coming back — yes, we’re talking about the Gilmore Girls revival announced in October. If you’re looking for an excuse to hang with other Gilmore Girls-obsessed friends, it’s time to throw a Super Cool Party People slumber party. Inspired by the episode of the same name, where Lorelai helps Luke throw his daughter April a birthday party, this fiesta will hit all the right nostalgia notes.
1. Rad Music: Luke made the grave mistake of not planning any activities or music for the party, but Lorelai swooped in. Pull out your clock radio, as Lorelai suggested… or swap in your Bluetooth speaker for a more modern option. Don’t forget to make a playlist of some ‘60s girl-group hits for some hairbrush-as-a-microphone singing fun.
2. Serpentine Junk Food + Booze Run: Lorelai and the girls hold hands and serpentine in the streets to the beauty store, but if you don’t live within walking distance of a Sephora or an Ulta (and if you do, we’re very jealous), it’s much more practical to serpentine to your nearest grocery store for snacks and alcohol that will satisfy your spiritual hunger.
3. Sweet + Silly Makeovers: As the Great Lorelai Gilmore says to Luke, “Thirteen-year-old girls and makeup. It’s like betting on Secretariat.” But that obsession with Bonne Bell Lip Smackers and all things makeup doesn’t go away after puberty. Have your friends bring over caboodles of their own makeup, hair tools, nail polish and more and get all dolled up just for funsies.
4. Classic Molly Ringwald Movie: Molly Ringwald will forever be the true Teen Queen. She’s got the perfect rosy pout to express her raw teenage angst. Can we seriously be her? You can’t go wrong with any of the holy trinity: The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink.
5. Necessary Shenanigans: A sleepover just isn’t a sleepover unless someone’s bra gets frozen, you stick your friend’s hand in a glass of water while she’s sleeping and you all play light as a feather, stiff as a board. Bring back theses oldies and you’ll be giggling away in no time.
What is your favorite part of a slumber party? Let us know in the comments!
(Photos via Warner Bros. Television, Universal Pictures)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)