This No-Churn Spiced Pear Ice Cream in Gingerbread Bowls Recipe Is a Holiday Must
Christmas and gingerbread go together like Santa and presents. You would not have one without the other; am I right? But while gingerbread houses are definitely high on the list of holiday baking, they’re definitely a little fiddly and not for the impatient (that would be me). Rather than get frustrated with icing and misaligned walls, I decided to turn my foolproof gingerbread recipe into edible bowls. Not only are they super easy to make, but they’re the perfect vessel for serving this wonderfully festive no-churn pear ice cream. Holiday dessert sorted!
Makes at least 8 edible bowls plus extra cookies
- 3 ounces soft light brown sugar
- 3½ ounces treacle or molasses
- 3½ ounces golden syrup or honey
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature (plus more for greasing the muffin tin)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting and rolling)
- Preheat the oven to 340 degrees Fahrenheit and grease the underside of a muffin tin with a little butter.
- Put the sugar, treacle and all the spices in a medium saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until the sugar melts.
- Take off the heat and stir in the baking soda. This will cause the mixture to rise slightly.
- Add the butter and stir until it melts completely.
- Stir in the beaten egg and transfer to a large bowl.
- Gradually add the flour, stirring it in, until the dough comes together. You may not need to add all the flour.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured worktop and gather into a ball. Divide into thirds and keep covered.
- Roll the dough out on top of a large piece of grease-proof paper. Use a patterned rolling pin or a doily to create a relief pattern (optional).
- Cut out six five-inch circles and carefully drape over the greased muffin tin, leaving gaps between them, as they will expand slightly while baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely, until firm. Gently remove the edible bowls from the muffin tin and set aside.
No-churn spiced pear ice cream ingredients:
- 3 large ripe but firm pears, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons Demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 1/3 cups double cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 3 ounces pecans
- caramel sauce to serve
- Put the pears, sugar and spice in a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for a couple of minutes until the pears are soft. Discard most of the liquid.
- Put the double cream and condensed milk in a large bowl and whisk until you have soft peaks.
- Stir in the pears and chopped pecans and fold everything together. Transfer to a container, cover and freeze overnight.
- Take the ice cream out of the fridge at least 10 minutes before serving to soften.
- Serve in the edible gingerbread bowls and drizzle with caramel sauce.
Customize this no-churn ice cream with any fruit and nuts that take your fancy!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)