These Gingerbread House Placecards Are Perfect for Your Party
Not only have gingerbread cookies been winning the hearts and stomachs of a lot of people this year, but gingerbread houses have made a comeback in a much more fun (and mini!) way. We’ve done gingerbread house snow globes and cupcakes toppers, and we even have a gingerbread house roundup so you can find the style that best fits you. But don’t you wish that you could use some of this yummy dessert as part of your holiday table setting too? That’s right, folks, we’re showing you how to make gingerbread house place settings, so not only will your guests be able to spot their names on an adorable little house at your party, but they’ll be able to eat it too. (After they die of cuteness, of course!) Get your icing ready and your apron on, because you’re about to make an insanely adorable mini gingerbread house village.
– vanilla icing
– 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
— 1/2 cup brown sugar
— 3/4 cup corn syrup
— 1/2 cup butter, melted
– piping bag
– round piping tip
– sharp knife
– rolling pin
– mini gingerbread house template (search “mini gingerbread house template” online)
1. Mix together the melted butter, brown sugar and corn syrup until all of the sugar has dissolved. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Combine to form dough. Refrigerate the dough for an hour.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Dust your surface with flour and roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. With your mini gingerbread house templates, cut out two walls, two pieces of roof, one front and one back for each house.
3. Place your house pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
4. Transfer your vanilla icing into a piping bag fitted with a round tip.
5. Put icing along the sides of each cookie and stick all the pieces of the house together.
6. Pipe your guests’ names onto the side of one of the roof pieces on each house.
7. Decorate the rest of the house with whatever you want. I chose to use frosting only, but you could also decorate it with candy if you like.
8. Clean up any rough edges and place at your table setting for your guests to enjoy!
When placing the paper template on the gingerbread cookie dough, dust the template with flour to make sure that it doesn’t stick to the dough.
Hold the walls of the house in place for a few minutes to make sure they are straight before adding on the roof and the front of the house.
Don’t worry if you mess up any of the frosting decorations on your house. You can easily wipe them off with a damp paper towel and try again!
So cute! Your party guests are definitely going to be excited to see their names on these little guys.
What is your favorite gingerbread house decoration? Share with us @BritandCo.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)