It’s no secret that Fifty Shades of Grey has taken over our bedrooms, will soon be taking over movie theaters and has even found its way into our kitchens. But forget all the erotic baggage that comes along with the triology, and let’s just consider for a moment how much we love the color gray. It’s a key color in any girl’s beauty arsenal, whether you’re aiming for the perfect smokey eye or an understated manicure. We’ve found 12 ways gray can rock your look, instead of your bed.
1. Gray Ombre: We’ll admit, we still love ombre tips, and we love them even more when they’ve gone gray. Lilah Parsons rocks the edgy dip-dyed locks like a natural. Try hair chalk for the same hue (without the permanent change). (Photo via HJI)
3. Gray Lips: Swedish beauty blogger Linda Halberg isn’t afraid to try anything. If you find yourself also wanting to push the beauty envelope, a gray lip is an interesting twist on a typical fresh-faced look. (Photo via Stureplan)
5. The All-Gray Look: If you’re looking for gray hair inspiration, look no further than Samantha Ravndahl’s Instagram. This beauty YouTuber pulls off gray locks like no other millennial, and we love the combo of a muted plum lip with smokey gray eyes. (Photo via @ssssamantha)
7. Light Gray Smokey Eye: This lighter take on the traditional smokey eye is a perfect date night look. Using silver shimmery shadows in the corners of your lids will really make your eyes pop. (Photo via Stureplan)
8. Growing Out the Gray: We absolutely loved when OITNB‘s Dascha Polanco debuted her gray and purple locks. Now that she’s growing it out, her hair is an even more interesting combination of gray-tastic colors. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
9. Purple + Gray Smokey Eye: If you want to make your smokey eye more unique, mixing in purple will really bring your look to life. Plus, adding a touch of gold emphasizes the whites of your eyes, making them really pop. (Photo via Beautybyjj)
12. Queen of Going Gray: How could we write about great gray looks without including the queen of hair color, Nicole Richie? But seriously, does she make gray hair look fierce or what? We are soooo ready to embrace the gray now. (Photo by Larry Busacca/Getty Images)