Fair warning: we’re getting corny over here with these 14 all-American grits recipes. Much like polenta, the array of applications for this filling porridge are seemingly endless. Cook up something classic, like savory shrimp and grits, or choose something more unconventional, like cookies and pies — either way, you cannot go wrong with this grain!
1. Shrimp and Grits: Cooking for one has never looked so good! (via Back to Her Roots)
2. Seared Scallops With Sweet Potato Grits: Mashed sweet potato adds a nice velvety feel and sweet taste to these maple-and-parm-laced grits. What an excellent pairing for seared scallops! (via Southern Boy Dishes)
3. Buttermilk + Grits Waffles: Akin to the most ethereal cornbread you’ve ever eaten, this should be a staple recipe in your waffle repertoire. (via Southern Souffle)
4. Grits Cakes With Country Ham and Bourbon Mayonnaise: Talk about an excellent app to make for your next holiday or derby party. (via The New York Times)
5. Shrimp Stew With Grits Crust: Add a bit of texture to shrimp and grits by spreading the latter over top and popping the skillet in the oven for a few. (via The New York Times)
6. Baked Eggs and Grits: We’re loving this combo of protein, carbs and veggies made in a personal-sized dish. (via Martha Stewart)
7. Coconut Grits Dumplings: Both easy to whip up and delicious, coconut milk is the key ingredient to these dumplings’ delightful flavor. (via The Eccentric Cook)
8. Cheese Grit Fries: Cut chilled grits into batons and fry ’em up for a fantastic alternative to French fries. (via Culture)
9. Ritzy Grits Crackers: Give these cheesy, homemade crackers a go topped with any number of goodies — the accompanying recipe for bacon jam is a fab place to start! (via Cherry Tea Cakes)
10. Sweet Corn Grits With Berries and Honey: A purée of straight-from-the-cob corn and half-n-half gives these grits an extra dash of sweet creaminess. (via Bojon Gourmet)
11. Buttered Grits Cookies: The hint of lemon in these cake-like cookies lends just a touch of brightness, making them a nice counterpoint to the rich butter frosting spread on top. (via Dessert for Two)
12. Sweet Grits Pie: Wavering between sweet and savory, this custard-like pie may not be widely known, but it definitely should be. (via Running With Tweezers)
13. Brie and Butter Grits With Raspberry Compote: Talk about indulgent! Brie adds an unmatched lusciousness to these upgraded grits. (via Food52)
14. Black Eyed Peas and Grits Cake: Glam up budget-friendly beans with a dish that’s just as enjoyable the next day! (via Eats Well With Others)
How do you doll up plain old grits? Let’s talk mix-ins and more in the comments below!